Thread: Buying a camera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Buying a camera

Specifically from eBay and Taiwan. I'm really tempted to go for this camera, to upgrade my old G1. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270672492777 It's a huge amount cheaper than here in the UK (something like £200 less). But before I go ahead and take the plunge, I wondered if there is anything I should be aware of buying from an international seller and in particular foreign cameras.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    Specifically from eBay and Taiwan. I'm really tempted to go for this camera, to upgrade my old G1. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270672492777 It's a huge amount cheaper than here in the UK (something like £200 less). But before I go ahead and take the plunge, I wondered if there is anything I should be aware of buying from an international seller and in particular foreign cameras.

Check your countrie's rules, but otherwise, I bought an expensive lens from Australia some time back with no problems. (I also bought camera and lens set out of Russia, using Western Union, there are cheaper ways now, with no problems)

I paid cash, or at least cash via a m.o.
    Avoid paypal like the plague, my account was hacked and I will NEVER use it again.
    Ebay and Paypal, which are owned by the same people did not give a sh--, except for one to say call ebay, while the other said call paypal.
    Their solution was to use a different c-card.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Be very very careful. Check the seller's feedback and record. If there is not one be extremely dubious. My ex was a big user as a buyer and seller and even she got stung on occasion. Kneecapping is optional as one found out.
    E Bay and Paypal talk a good line but the truth is less than good.
    That said there are many bargains out there.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    be lated
    marry Christmas to all forum member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devid
    be lated
    marry Christmas to all forum member
    Nah, you are in the middle of the season, the Orthodox do not celebrate till the seventh and as there are twelve days of Christmas, that gives people until the 18th without being a little late.
    Merry Christmas!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How about a speed camera? Suits your name.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

I bought a great cheap lens from HK, at least it was cheap until the Inland Revenue hit me with the VAT bill for it via the post office. Once I paid the tax on it it wasn't the bargain I'd hoped for. I've had to pay VAT on unmarked envelopes from America too so don't expect to avoid it.

Add in the risk factor and I'm not sure its worth it.

As others have said, ebay and paypal are less than secure and they won't help. Credit card companies though will be more helpful if things go wrong so think about using them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    I bought a great cheap lens from HK, at least it was cheap until the Inland Revenue hit me with the VAT bill for it via the post office. Once I paid the tax on it it wasn't the bargain I'd hoped for. I've had to pay VAT on unmarked envelopes from America too so don't expect to avoid it.

Add in the risk factor and I'm not sure its worth it.

As others have said, ebay and paypal are less than secure and they won't help. Credit card companies though will be more helpful if things go wrong so think about using them.
    I bought some Euro Kodachrome, with developing, last year.
    I took a chance and paid cash, I mean actual Euro bills, by putting them in a card-board envelope, with reinforcing cards inside, marked "photographs." ($300 dollars worth of film)

The seller beat the VAT system and obviously the money arrived safely.

There are other methods of paying, if one does a net search, but YES, c-cards are best if possible.

I recently sent a few hundred dollars of old magazines to a gent in Canada, and helped him avoid taxes by listing it them as gifts with zero value.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I've decided to buy it from a reputable camera shop in the UK - it's only £100 more than the eBay price but I get the extra peace of mind, manufacturer guarantee in this country and I can easily sort it out if there's something wrong. Sometimes it's worth paying extra for good service and I'm supporting local business.

Hopefully the camera arrives in a good condition. So... anyone looking for a cheap Lumix G1 body? Mine will be going on ebay shortly....