Page 123 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 2215
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    And listen up all people. I almost met the guy in Loutraki in 2012. But only almost. Missed him by about five minutes at servicepark. ".
    s.
    Jez, that was close. Fortune was on your side that day..... : )

Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    I have (in the past) and will continue to side with NOT in this one. In my mind, building a car is not what is being debated. That's been done and that isn't the hard part, the AP4 cars being built in NZ illustrate that modifying a body shell, adapting it to use motorsport parts, adding and engine and gearbox and building suspension can be done by a lot of competent motorsport orientated car builders.

Where I think this program just doesn't feel right is the Tommi "knows best" approach. Seeing him test drive the car didn't make me think, here is a guy who trusts his team to do the right thing and is positioning it with a well thought out business plan and strategy, it made me think "he still wants to be a driver in the WRC". I just don't get the sense that there is a complete strategy in place for this. I've said it before, the WRC isn't just about building a car, its the support functions and the entire team that will make it successful - still don't get the sense that that is in place.

Is there any information out there on the team itself?

And please guys, NOT is NOT. Don't troll him, no point it just makes the thread a more unpleasant one.

3. Likes: AMSS (16th May 2016),dimviii (16th May 2016),Hartusvuori (16th May 2016),kiil (16th May 2016),pantealex (16th May 2016),Rallyper (16th May 2016)
    Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    However I do think Tommi has good help from Toyota in the way how business plan and strategies should be handled. And being WRC driver again isn´t for sure Tommies aim. What on earth make you think that? Just because he´s testing his little baby?

Regarding NOT I agree. This forum wouldn´t be what it is without the greek/english "labrat".
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

5. Likes: pantealex (16th May 2016)
    Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Grundo, the issue here is that we don't know, and that we have opinions based on what is reported by people who may or may not know, and people who can look at a non comparative video and determine that something may or may not work. Whatever the short term success or not of this team, long term Toyota will not allow it to fail. We don't know what is in place, but some of us understand how the Japanese do business. This project is supported by Toyoda himself. It will not be allowed to fail. It may come out the end looking different, but they will be on them podium in 2018, if not before, and on the centre of the podium in 2019, if not before.

7. Likes: danon (16th May 2016),janvanvurpa (16th May 2016),pantealex (16th May 2016),Rallyper (16th May 2016)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    Where I think this program just doesn't feel right is the Tommi "knows best" approach. Seeing him test drive the car didn't make me think, here is a guy who trusts his team to do the right thing and is positioning it with a well thought out business plan and strategy, it made me think "he still wants to be a driver in the WRC". I just don't get the sense that there is a complete strategy in place for this. I've said it before, the WRC isn't just about building a car, its the support functions and the entire team that will make it successful - still don't get the sense that that is in place.
    I am reserved because I simply don't know what's going on inside the project but I'm taking a wait and see approach. Regarding Tommi you can also see his actions as being close and involved with the team at every level, which is not necesarily bad. Also I'm not sure if it's a case of Tommi knows best, he has hired quite a few other test drivers and I'm not cynical enough to think he is just using Toyota money to give his friends some fun in the forest.

9. Likes: danon (16th May 2016),itix (16th May 2016),pantealex (16th May 2016),Rallyper (16th May 2016)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Grundo, the issue here is that we don't know, and that we have opinions based on what is reported by people who may or may not know, and people who can look at a non comparative video and determine that something may or may not work. Whatever the short term success or not of this team, long term Toyota will not allow it to fail. We don't know what is in place, but some of us understand how the Japanese do business. This project is supported by Toyoda himself. It will not be allowed to fail. It may come out the end looking different, but they will be on them podium in 2018, if not before, and on the centre of the podium in 2019, if not before.
    I'm doing a project with the Japanese at the moment so I do know about them. I agree, they won't WANT to let it fail but Tommi and his set-up may not last the distance, one thing about the Japanese is they are ruthless when it comes to results.

Not sure if anyone follows yachting but the Tommi set-up reminds me of Team New Zealand under Grant Dalton. Grant won the Volvo round the world race, then headed up the Americas cup syndicate. He was great at getting sponsors and big names on board but couldn't resist being on the boat, being a grinder, calling some of the tactics etc... They lost in the final, arguably because of it. Just seems to feel similar.

And Rallyper, yes I do think that because he is testing "his" little baby.

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Tommi is one of, if not the, best test driver(s) in WRC history. He has a very clear vision of how a WRC car should perform, some of it is very easily visible in the videos and pictures that have surfaced so far.
    I think it would be a great mistake if he didnt take on an active roll on the testing and developing of the car.
    I see it the other way around, when things start moving in 2017, with all the rallies and logistics etc, they Toyota Gazoo will have a "problem" in that Tommi cant be as active as he is now.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

12. Likes: danon (16th May 2016),er88 (16th May 2016),jiipee64 (16th May 2016),makinen_fan (16th May 2016),Nelly (16th May 2016),OldF (17th May 2016),pantealex (16th May 2016),Rallyper (16th May 2016),RAS007 (17th May 2016)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    It doesn't sound too much coherent. Doesn'it?

Liked 12,223 Times in 5,250 Posts
    found a pic of them testing in spain

Last edited by EstWRC; 16th May 2016 at 19:14.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

15. Likes: Allyc85 (16th May 2016),danon (16th May 2016),dimviii (16th May 2016),OldF (17th May 2016),pantealex (17th May 2016),stefanvv (16th May 2016),TWRC (16th May 2016)
    Liked 16,097 Times in 6,986 Posts
    find a video too mate.