Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I think having Indy be the foci for the teams is a good one in the end. NASCAR didn't always have the teams based in and around Charlotte, it is just the way the business evolved, and when you saw the Petty's move to the Charlotte area, you knew that was the end of the era where teams were successful based outside of that area.
    NASCAR never subsidized relocations or forced anyone to move to Charlotte. Everyone migrated to Charlotte on their own.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    NASCAR never subsidized relocations or forced anyone to move to Charlotte. Everyone migrated to Charlotte on their own.

Neither is the IRL. The "subsidies" are from the State of Indiana. And no one is being forced to move anywhere. Get your facts straight.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Neither is the IRL. The "subsidies" are from the State of Indiana. And no one is being forced to move anywhere. Get your facts straight.

Gary
    And those subsidies are a whole other issue that I find repugnant.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    We have had Cdn. based teams in many series including the old Can Am, F5000, Trans Am and Atlantic in its heyday. Today Gand Am teams are based in Canada.
    However, for an IC team the costs of parts due to duty, delays in cross border shipping plus brokerage fees and the hassle of many cross border trips pretty well eliminates a Cdn. based team. The border since 911 is much more of a hassle. You will note the two Cdn. races are a week apart despite a long a--ed haul from Toronto to Edmonton so the teams do not have to cross the border twice.
    Further I do not think the casual fan knows or cares where a team is based. The taxi cabs have made Charlotte area well known because several teams offer tours and they have several series and many more support/supplier shops than IC will ever have. But it was a natural development not a forced one.
    Most of the F1 teams are located in the same general area in England as are many of their suppliers.
    Probably most if not all new teams will locate near Indy, assuming there are any.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Why? States, counties and cities do this all the time with cash and various tax breaks/other incentives. It's usually an effort to get desired companies and industries to move to or build in that location. The pay back is future revenue and employment in that jurisdiction.

I am 100% against all use of Taxpayers money being taken by force to be given to private businesses.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I am 100% against all use of Taxpayers money being taken by force to be given to private businesses.
    diddo!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    I thought Indy was sexy.
    You haven't seen Indy!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Bring Gerry back. I hope Penske runs a satellite team in 2012 comprised of PT and AJ Allmendinger to beat the snot out of them, HA!!
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Why?
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Why?
    It is pretty self-explanatory.

But to put it simply I am against MY MONEY being taken by force and used to support poorly run businesses.

That is what ALL government subsidies are.