Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    So you want Kalkoven to just open up his bank account and fully fund PT for a season? Nice thought of you spending his money like that.

I suspect even with the ride buyers he has, he still is out of pocket a lot. Nothing wrong with KV to an extent that having more a little better engineering and management wouldn't cure. Jimmy does great work I am sure with helping whoever is behind the wheels, but I think they still need something with that team.

The fact is though, most teams are really struggling right now, and until ad budgets go up, and the IRL's popularity starts to grow, adversting agencies are not going to come to the IRL side pods with their clients. When THAT happens, then you will see a change in some of the drivers hired.

All in all I think this year is healthier actually for the quality of field.
    What is missing with that team in my opinion is the subtraction of 1 full time car. I just feel they are substantially over extended. They did really well with 1 car and an unproven driver last year and when Tracy was with them he was the best non-Penske non_Ganassi car at his 2 planned events (on roads). Throw in Indy where Bell finished 4th and Tracy limped home in a damaged vehicle to 9th after running as high as 2nd and it is clear they know what it takes to have speed on different circuits. I think it is chemistry and over extension if resources.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I haven't had a chance to watch the race I taped yesterday. But watching Speed Report last night, Robin Miller issued a mea culpa about his saying there would be no passing at Barber and yet there apparently was. So what about the rest of the nay sayers HERE? I haven't seen any such admissions yet in this forum. Just sayin'...

Gary
    I was pleasantly surprised.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Anthony, I am pleased to see you say that!

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    What is missing with that team in my opinion is the subtraction of 1 full time car. I just feel they are substantially over extended. They did really well with 1 car and an unproven driver last year and when Tracy was with them he was the best non-Penske non_Ganassi car at his 2 planned events (on roads). Throw in Indy where Bell finished 4th and Tracy limped home in a damaged vehicle to 9th after running as high as 2nd and it is clear they know what it takes to have speed on different circuits. I think it is chemistry and over extension if resources.
    That may be....Lets face it, everyone knows the pay for play drivers they have are erratic, so it doesn't help they are not getting accurate feedback maybe on tests and practice setups.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3

It's not extension of resources I counted at least 40 guys, including some high priced experienced guys in their paddock and I'm sure that wasn't the full complement they had at Barber, much less the development guys at the shop.

KV is in it to win, but the two factors they've had working against them is time and bad luck. At Brazil E.J. Viso could have won the race, or at least been in line for a podium if a transmission didn't go wrong. At Barber Takumo had some honest speed, but had a mechanical issue with his car or he would have been in the top five with a chance for a podium.

As far as time goes we know the Lotus and Moreas deals came together very late in the off season. Their team is young, and have show it with the Takuma and Viso mechanicals, but they're starting to show some speed. they had three cars in the top 12 in qualifying, which is better than Andretti can say, and Takuma had a top-5 car. They just need some more time to gell together. They had a lot of uncertainty in the off season and I think they'll start to pull together and at Long Beach they'll be in the top 5 and by Indy they'll be competitive.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    It's not extension of resources I counted at least 40 guys, including some high priced experienced guys in their paddock and I'm sure that wasn't the full complement they had at Barber, much less the development guys at the shop.

KV is in it to win, but the two factors they've had working against them is time and bad luck. At Brazil E.J. Viso could have won the race, or at least been in line for a podium if a transmission didn't go wrong. At Barber Takumo had some honest speed, but had a mechanical issue with his car or he would have been in the top five with a chance for a podium.

As far as time goes we know the Lotus and Moreas deals came together very late in the off season. Their team is young, and have show it with the Takuma and Viso mechanicals, but they're starting to show some speed. they had three cars in the top 12 in qualifying, which is better than Andretti can say, and Takuma had a top-5 car. They just need some more time to gell together. They had a lot of uncertainty in the off season and I think they'll start to pull together and at Long Beach they'll be in the top 5 and by Indy they'll be competitive.
    I hope you're right, and on many counts obviously you are. KV is one of the teams that I root for hoping they can crack the Penske Ganassi dominance. They aren't perfect by any means but I feel they have the potential. When they don't live up to it, it frustrates me. So far this year, for various reasons they haven't lived up to the hype they built for themselves last year. I'll hold out hope though. I just hope they aren't dealing with old worked over tubs with little chance...seems that had something to do with AGR last year on top of the chemistry issues.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.