Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Michelin close to Formula 1 return

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Well its nice that someone wants to supply F1 with tyres.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Would be nice if it was Michelin and A N Other(s), oh well

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    I hope that if Michelin are seeking to be the F1 tyre they insist on tyres that will last the entire distance and the artificial pit stop era will come to absolute end.

Supplying perhaps two types of tyres one softer the other harder for all teams during a weekend that last an entire race distance. Also used for practice and setting grid times would see a return to the time when drivers had to use their ability to conserve tyres.

I am pleased that the refuelling BS is now gone and so ought the tyre changes.

If Michelin is the only company willing then they will be able to set the rules - more power to them. I hope the FIA squirm and squeal under this pressure and threat of not having a tyre for 2011.

It is already very late in the day and hopefully any Michelin interest means a plan is already in place.

I just hope we do not end up with some quirky named Korean tyre - this is F1 and it ought to mean top traditional brand names. Keep EUROPE dominant in F1 - its where the fan base is!!!
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Michelin coming back would be fantastic, lets face it, by the end of thier last stint in F1 they had Bridgestone well and truely bossed, thrashing Bridgestone in 2005 when Mad Max decreed that tyre stops were banned and then again in 2006 when for me they were the key difference maker in the battle between Renault and Ferarri for the title.

Some of the teams and drivers have been critical of Bridgestone's F1 products since they became the sole supplier, with complaints that the tyres werent exactly pushing the envelope in terms of either grip or durability, I feel having Michelin back would throw the emphassis back on innovation, which is good for both Michelin and F1.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    It's nice to see the return of the Michelin name, but I hate this sole-supplier business. It would be so good to see a full mix of suppliers from the past and do away with the tyre stops. That will really test how good each tyre manufacturer is with competition in durability (having to last a full race) and performance. One can dream
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why is everyone so down on pit stops? They're the best part of the race; we get to watch people working on cars!
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can't remember if I posted on here a while back that I figured if there was only one tire supplier that they would dictate to F1/FIA just what the tire rules will be. I know I wrote an article in it for www.thegarageblog.com
    Anyway it only makes sense as they will want to keep their costs down.
    Probably only 2 or 3 compounds for the year and tires capable of going the race distance. Quite possibly greatly reduced number of sets provided per car per weekend.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Why is everyone so down on pit stops? They're the best part of the race; we get to watch people working on cars!
    Personally myself, I think the best part of the race is when the cars are actually racing. On the track, overtaking, out-breaking, flat out through fast sections and accompanied by the sound of a screaming V8

But don't let me speak for everyone - I do miss the V12s though
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    If Michelin comes back, maybe Renault can once again become a serious force in F1? After all, they seem to have lost their mojo after Michelin's departure.