Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Spark Plug Issue for RBR

I seem to recall, sometime last year, someone posted on here about the McLaren F1 team, and a comment by Mercedes, that the engine, once up to speed and over a certain amount of revs, did not rely on the spark plugs for ignition.

Does anyone remember that, and if so, how does that fall in the light of the issue Vettel had????
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Waaaay over my head
    All other opinions are wrong....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    yes. That was my understanding.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I seem to recall, sometime last year, someone posted on here about the McLaren F1 team, and a comment by Mercedes, that the engine, once up to speed and over a certain amount of revs, did not rely on the spark plugs for ignition.

Does anyone remember that, and if so, how does that fall in the light of the issue Vettel had????
    Dieselisation process?

Remember, each engine has different ways of working. So one problem may be more apparent on one engine than the other.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Sounds pretty fascinating. But the spark has to come from somewhere. Does anybody remember how this worked, or maybe a link to the old thread?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

There was something along those lines written somewhere but it's inconclusive in this case because RBR use Renault engines not Mercedes.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru...ghlight=diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I went to the effort of getting the answer myself. So I went and emailed McLaren Electronics:

Originally Posted by McLaren Electronics View Post
    Dear Andrew,

The spark plugs used by Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are supplied by NGK. During any given run by the Formula One car, the spark plugs are enabled for approximately 40 seconds before the engine management system switches them off. At this point, the internal pressures of the engines are suffcient to keep the engine firing on compression ignition only. Subject to engine management, sensors will re-enable the spark plugs for the slower portions of the run such as pitstops.

Thank you for your enquiry,
    [email:byi9aged]enquiry@mclarenelectronics.com[/email:byi9aged]

There you have it. For about 97% of a Grand Prix, the cars are running as Diesels.
    Case closed.
    Based on what I knew about Top-Fuel Dragsters I theorised, that the pressures in an F1 engine would be enough to make the engines "go diesel".

Red Bull initially reported the new exhaust system was to blame for the loss of speed, but later stated it was actually a faulty spark plug that cost them the race.
    If you read both of these things together, it's not difficult to make the leap and suggest that both statements are actually true. If they're firing the spark plugs on both the exhaust and compression strokes, then exhaust gases would be being burnt, and thus the engine should breathe better.
    A so-called "wasted spark" isn't exactly a new idea, and has been used in the past by Alfa Romeo (Twinspark) and Volkswagen (on their VR6 engines), and on the Mazda B engines which are in their Miata and old 323.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Good info. Thanks, Rollo.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks a lot Rollo.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Great info, thanks.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro