Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Gimmicky names for proposed race car platforms are all the rage.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Wimpy DTM cars? Are you serious?
    DTM = glorified prototypes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    DTM = glorified prototypes
    They're not glorified prototypes. The bodywork is basically the same in shape as the roadcars with the additition of wings, vents, openings etc etc. They're nothing like prototypes.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cts1691
    More manufactures = higher costs = less cars = less racing = less interest = less money = even less cars = even less racing = even less interest = bye-bye V8 Supercars.
    We have less cars nowadays as it is, V8Supercars Australia have been actively trying to REDUCE the field to just 28 starters.... all in the interest of making the franchises worth more.

The fact that we have less meetings in Australia than ever before would not be helping the interest either.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    They're not glorified prototypes. The bodywork is basically the same in shape as the roadcars with the additition of wings, vents, openings etc etc. They're nothing like prototypes.
    Given the exotic materials underneath and the fact the bodywork wouldn't actually fit the road going version, there certainly not in any way, shape or form 'production' vehciles either.

Same 'shape' certainly, same cars? Not even close.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nah they don't look ANYTHING like each other

Ever heard of something called a silhouette race car?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Wiki Magic:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch...nwagen_Masters
    The cars are supposed to be fast and spectacular, while still rather cheap to build and run. All DTM race cars have RWD and 4.0 L V8 engines which are air-restricted to 470 hp, no matter if similar layouts or engines are available in the road cars. Instead of the road car bodies, unrelated purpose-built chassis are used, which are closer to prototype racing.

Apart from the badge on the front, the cars in the DTM share zero components with those on the road. Their floorpan dimensions have remained static since 2000 and even the chassis they sit on, across cars are dimensionally identical.

In comparison, the V8 Supercars chassis are derived from the road car, though the VE Commodore has had chunks cut out of it. The truth is that V8Taxi racing shares more in common with the road cars than the DTM.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Wiki Magic:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch...nwagen_Masters
    The cars are supposed to be fast and spectacular, while still rather cheap to build and run. All DTM race cars have RWD and 4.0 L V8 engines which are air-restricted to 470 hp, no matter if similar layouts or engines are available in the road cars. Instead of the road car bodies, unrelated purpose-built chassis are used, which are closer to prototype racing.

Apart from the badge on the front, the cars in the DTM share zero components with those on the road. Their floorpan dimensions have remained static since 2000 and even the chassis they sit on, across cars are dimensionally identical.

In comparison, the V8 Supercars chassis are derived from the road car, though the VE Commodore has had chunks cut out of it. The truth is that V8Taxi racing shares more in common with the road cars than the DTM.
    Errr check wikipedia again. It now says that it's closer to banana racing. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing! No opinion in there at all is there?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I am not a big fan of the Germans going down under. The Aussie V8's are special and unique, and I look at what level of racing I see from there; and I wonder why BMW, Audi or MB might make it better? I dont think they will. Australian racing is the closet to NASCAR in the type of spectacle and culture, and I think the DTM is just a different breed altogether.

I would love to see a world series of Touring car if IF they do this, but I don't know how the logistics and economics could work. Have maybe 8 super events and have regional series that host them. Bathurst, Clipsal and Melbourne would be no brainers in the Australian Series...but not sure how it would all work.

I like the Aussie series as it is....simple as that. Don't need it DTM'ed...I think the DTM's are just not as much fun. You don't see the aggressive and close racing that happens down under as often in the DTM.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Errr check wikipedia again. It now says that it's closer to banana racing. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing! No opinion in there at all is there?
    How about the DTM's own website then?

http://www.dtm.com/reglement_t.php
    The outer skin of the DTM racing cars, which get their brawny stance from aerodynamic bodywork, consists of high-strength but extremely lightweight carbon fibre – the universal material in professional racing. Composite materials are used in the area of safety as well. Safety structures similar to a Formula 1 monocoque and crash boxes made of carbon as well as approximately 28 metres of high-strength aircraft steel as a space frame ensure “workplace safety” for the drivers.

Nothing like opinion grounded in fact eh? I'd say that there was a word for that opinion... "accurate".
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!