Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    it was the fuzzy faced amateurs that i loved about the games of years past, but alas those years are gone, and with respect to hockey, there will never ever be another lake placcid because those guys now do not get to go.

As far as I am concerned that was the very last truly great game in Olympic history, because while pros may have been on the other side it was college kids facing them

(indeed the russian team warmed up for the games by going around and smashing the pro hockey teams of both the USA and Canada in the events leading up to the games),

instead it is our best pros against the best pros of everyone, and the idea of pure competition without any motivation except to win, has gone

i could see there were times when USA had some fire, and the last two minutes the team was truly fired up as though they simply forced the puck into the net but it was clear to me that Canada was playing as hard as possible the whole game.
    I can just tell you this: AS noble as the amateurs in the Olympics (funny how the Russians were never really amateurs but no one did anything about it) were, and the Miracle of 1960 and 1980 were both great accomplishments, the reality is the best players playing the best players with no restrictions has given us some of the most fantastic games every played. By any account, last Sunday's game was one of the most intriguging and exciting efforts anywhere.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations for the Canadian fans! Great Olympics! You are probably very happy that you bested both Russia and the USA in hockey!
    Formula 1

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    Congratulations for the Canadian fans! Great Olympics! You are probably very happy that you bested both Russia and the USA in hockey!
    Well, Beating the USA was cathartic but also tinged with a bit of sadness because they play like us, and the GM of the team also in his full time job is the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Beating the Russians? it never gets old, and after what some idiot writer said in Pravda about Canada and Canadians, I was mad we didn't beat them 16-3. I don't mind Ovechkin, he is a charismatic and fun guy; but for the most part, the Russians come off as dour sucks who cant take criticism or adversity.

It was just fun because Canada rarely gets to stand on top of the world and for 2 weeks, we did......
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".