Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Don't Fear the Future, but Brian Barnhart does?

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ont-fear-2012/

The latest from Robin Miller. His take on the new car, the new engine possibly, and how Barnhart is having kittens worrying about losing control of the formula. Robin lays out a pretty good rationale for how this is the chance to breathe a lot of life into the sport, even tho I suspect we can quibble on some of it. That said, the last few paragraphs he basically calls out Barnhart for trying to reign in this diversity in design. I don't know if that is fair or not, but I do know that the status quo isn't working for a lot of people, and he better grasp THAT.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well it's on Brian if the safety of the new cars isn't up to snuff, and if the racing isn't exciting. I'd say he has a lot of pressure to make sure they do it right. I however, disagree with what is apparently Brian's mindset that, as-is, the IRL is moving in the right direction. What I see is a series that's gotten pretty stale in loads of ways, and needs to try something different. A very unique car design is important in separating it from the common perception of F1 racing that the American public generally is not interested in. I do think the IRL needs to position itself, with its new car design, as an exciting and very unique alternative to NASCAR, and not simply slower F1 cars that run on a variety of tracks. I'm not saying that Bowlby's design is superior or Dallara's new car is superior. We simply don't know. But I do think that the more extreme changes in look, handling, and performance, will pay off bigger for the league.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Well it's on Brian if the safety of the new cars isn't up to snuff, and if the racing isn't exciting. I'd say he has a lot of pressure to make sure they do it right. I however, disagree with what is apparently Brian's mindset that, as-is, the IRL is moving in the right direction. What I see is a series that's gotten pretty stale in loads of ways, and needs to try something different. A very unique car design is important in separating it from the common perception of F1 racing that the American public generally is not interested in. I do think the IRL needs to position itself, with its new car design, as an exciting and very unique alternative to NASCAR, and not simply slower F1 cars that run on a variety of tracks. I'm not saying that Bowlby's design is superior or Dallara's new car is superior. We simply don't know. But I do think that the more extreme changes in look, handling, and performance, will pay off bigger for the league.
    The impression I get is that Brian likes having a lot of control over the formula and wants to make this simple to police. AT some point...he has to grasp that Miller is right in the sense what got many of us to love Indy, and the rest of the series was the variety of cars, packages and ideas. There is ZERO innovation, so all Penske and Ganassi do is to polish and tune every part and piece to the nth degree and they will always run up front. If there is many variables, they have to have the better package where the other guys are bringing new ideas to the table, some that work better than what they have.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ont-fear-2012/

The latest from Robin Miller. His take on the new car, the new engine possibly, and how Barnhart is having kittens worrying about losing control of the formula. Robin lays out a pretty good rationale for how this is the chance to breathe a lot of life into the sport, even tho I suspect we can quibble on some of it. That said, the last few paragraphs he basically calls out Barnhart for trying to reign in this diversity in design. I don't know if that is fair or not, but I do know that the status quo isn't working for a lot of people, and he better grasp THAT.
    My problem with all of this is that Robin has offered no proof that this is the answer to the problem, it is just presented as different.

Robin speaks of the old days of multiple chassis & engines, and wanting to see Dan Drinan & Joe Devin build cars for the 500, low costs, etc. And yet he never explains how this new car could change all of this nor if it even will. All this sounds like a single make car (by Dallara in the USA) with engines by Honda. WOW, what a change.

And it will have even less horse power @ 325 hp. Really, 325? A midget engine produces between 325 & 400 hp @ 900 lbs. You really think a 325 hp turbo will get the ratings up?

It worries me that you people are so wrapped up in this idea of change that none of you are asking if it will be any better.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    There is ZERO innovation, so all Penske and Ganassi do is to polish and tune every part and piece to the nth degree and they will always run up front.
    As compared to the old days of innovation when Penske & Ganassi were the only ones who had the most money to develop the car the best and they always ran upfront.

Once again where does Robin show this car will keep Penske & Ganassi from winning all of the time?

I think that most of you have nostalgia bias and remember past events as having been better than they really were at the time.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This new car has basically everything the old car has. Apart from its low horsepower, but irl adopted much lower horsepower than CART anyway back in the day, hence not a backstep. The rest are good----low cost, innovations, possibilities of putting on a good show etc. Loving the idea. There is always one thing or another to be skeptical about before innovations, and it is right in doing so; but the thing is that irl is now in such a miserable state that it needs to find a radical new way and test them out. irl is basically now in a "what have you got to lose" situation now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't take every word from Miller as gospel nor do I approve of Barnhart's 'ultra-conservative, zero innovation, keep things as they are' mindset.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan
    I wouldn't take every word from Miller as gospel nor do I approve of Barnhart's 'ultra-conservative, zero innovation, keep things as they are' mindset.
    Is that based on what Brian has said or what Robin thinks?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastandwynn
    As compared to the old days of innovation when Penske & Ganassi were the only ones who had the most money to develop the car the best and they always ran upfront.

Once again where does Robin show this car will keep Penske & Ganassi from winning all of the time?

I think that most of you have nostalgia bias and remember past events as having been better than they really were at the time.
    Wynn, here is the deal: If you open the series up for multiple manufacturers and allow some innovation, a small team can find something that a big team doesn't. A different package option allows people to guess right or wrong on what chassis to buy or develop.

Having one mandated chassis with no changes allowed is spec racing. Last Time I looked, no SCCA spec racing series ever made really compelling television.

As for the power, I want more of it. I am not in agreement with Miller on that score. I want them running 800 hp with very minimal wings...I want to see guys manhandlling the cars through the corners on roadcourses in full out slides...On the ovals, I want to see them run 240 down the straight at Indy and actually have to brake down to about 190 or so to make the corner...Then the driver's ability will make a difference.

As for Penske and Ganassi, they will win more than the others just on their large engineering and support, and their superior money advantage. That said, under the current strict rules, they will dominate because they can perfect everything to the 10th one of a percent that the others cant, and if everyone is equal, this will often win. In a series where there are many options on setup and chassis, the blind squirrel will find more nuts theory kicks in. Andretti's teams will find something and win a race or two. Maybe Rahal Letterman will find something and win ( providing they are still in the biz)

AS for Robin's theory on cheaper racing, I think he is thinking this can be a "junk" formula like Indy had in the 30's. Not sure how he figures that will happen, but I think he wants local guys to at least be given a set of rules and a "box" and let them try to build a race car to compete with. Noble thought...beats everyone in a Dallara with no mods allowed and a sealed Honda.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilf
    Is that based on what Brian has said or what Robin thinks?
    It is based on how there is no innovation allowed with the current Dallara and sealed Honda.

Tell me who designed this idea? Brian.... so the proof is in the results. The teams are all running identical race cars because they have no other choice. It isn't Roger Penske's idea trust me...