Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VW rules out IndyCar programme

Big blow for IndyCar IMO!

----------------------

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80817

Volkswagen Motorsport boss Kris Nissen reckons it is unlikely that any part of the VW group will go ahead with an IndyCar Series programme at present.

Audi, Volkswagen and Porsche - all part of the VW/Audi group - had joined Honda and Fiat for initial talks over IndyCar's future engine rules package, which is set to be introduced in 2012.

But Nissen does not see the brands committing to the American category in the short term.

"I am not 100 per cent sure of the latest status. But I think it is not realistic for the moment that the VW group will do it," he told AUTOSPORT.

He believes the time is not yet right for VW to expand its racing involvement - and that IndyCar needs to be in a stronger position before the German firm can commit to it....
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    VW just posted another record revenue and a worldwide increase in marketshare. I wonder when is the right time to expand racing involvement.

Anyway it is still a long time till 2012. I think we don't even have the precise regulations for that time?? Much can change in the meantime.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    VW just posted another record revenue and a worldwide increase in marketshare. I wonder when is the right time to expand racing involvement.

Anyway it is still a long time till 2012. I think we don't even have the precise regulations for that time?? Much can change in the meantime.
    Fine, 2012 might be a ways away, but engines for 2012 need to be started soon, probably by mid 2010.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    They are expanding but they aren't stupid. VW is a world wide company and there are plenty of series out there that will give them more bang for their buck.

They are expanding their IRC, Grand-Am, F-3 and touring car programs.
    Audi is expanding into GT racing.
    Porsche is taking this year easy and will be back with a vengeance in 2011.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They aren't concerned about their abilities. Its hard to envision anyone investing with a self destructing family.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Is it wrong to suggest using the same engine formula that F1 currently have - Honda have a suitable powerplant in mothballs and it would be a straight forward way of other manufacturers of participating as if they enter F1 (as VW have been considering) they could use one program to service both series and with further cost containment and environmental innovations in F1 due with the next round of engine regs I think Indycar could do a lot worse than shadow the F1 engine regs or even officially partner F1 for engine regs, it could have the spin-off benefit of increasing awareness of Indycar worldwide.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    Is it wrong to suggest using the same engine formula that F1 currently have - Honda have a suitable powerplant in mothballs and it would be a straight forward way of other manufacturers of participating as if they enter F1 (as VW have been considering) they could use one program to service both series and with further cost containment and environmental innovations in F1 due with the next round of engine regs I think Indycar could do a lot worse than shadow the F1 engine regs or even officially partner F1 for engine regs, it could have the spin-off benefit of increasing awareness of Indycar worldwide.
    There were rumors that plans were in the works to create common engine regulations amongst numerous racing series (I believe some of the series mentioned were F1, Indycar, WRC). Of course this would make a lot of sense in most ways but would also raise concerns in other areas.

Personally, I don't want Indycar to follow F1. I want Indycar to be seperate from F1, however I can see the economical benefits to running the same engines.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Running the same engine or slightly altered versions (not modified) as F1 would make sense, although you would probably should open it up to all manufacturers to be fair. No picking one or two and saying no to the rest.
    This would, of course, make sound business sense so there is less than zero chance IC will adopt it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a blow and I've just about had enough. Unless there are concrete plans to put a new car and/or/at least engine in place next year (2011), I'm done. It has become so hard to stay excited about the crap product, I can't take it any longer. I realize this is likely the last season I follow or attend IndyCar events but there are other things in life that I can get a thrill from (i.e. Barnum & Bailey's 3 ring cirucs, Golden Girls, etc.) Enough is enough, fans need to start boycotting so the new leadership wakes up. I've boycotted LBGP the past 2 years and only plan to go this year to get my King Taco and Tecate from Ken!
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    This is a blow and I've just about had enough. Unless there are concrete plans to put a new car and/or/at least engine in place next year (2011), I'm done. It has become so hard to stay excited about the crap product, I can't take it any longer. I realize this is likely the last season I follow or attend IndyCar events but there are other things in life that I can get a thrill from (i.e. Barnum & Bailey's 3 ring cirucs, Golden Girls, etc.) Enough is enough, fans need to start boycotting so the new leadership wakes up. I've boycotted LBGP the past 2 years and only plan to go this year to get my King Taco and Tecate from Ken!
    You can't be serious. You think there is actually any chance at all that they will be racing a new engine and/or chassis by 2011? Chassis still in design, engine package to be determined. They've been saying 2012 for awhile now, and that's starting to seem optimistic to me. My guess would be a 2 manu engine with tunable turbo around 650 range, and the delta chassis. With some luck, they will manage all that for some testing early into the 2011 season. Like the Brazil race, it feels like things will be put off until the last minute (whether the IRL's fault or not).