Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A fall Indy 400?

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Why not either use the road course or host a 400 mile oval race at Indy? It would add another high-value event to the schedule and potentially add more profits to IMS, which funds the IRL anyway.

Seriously, use the road course, put $1 million up for the winner, and have yourself a big fall event, something that is missing from the schedule.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Why not either use the road course or host a 400 mile oval race at Indy? It would add another high-value event to the schedule and potentially add more profits to IMS, which funds the IRL anyway.

Seriously, use the road course, put $1 million up for the winner, and have yourself a big fall event, something that is missing from the schedule.
    makes more sense than Brazil or China
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd buy a ticket.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hell has frozen over.

I agree. Maybe start or end the season in Indy on the road course with a series of events. Maybe even a road race, and short 100-200 mile oval sprint race.

That or look to do something the Saturday before the 500, or month of May. I know turning the cars over would be hell on the teams, but having something early saturday (push the parade out) might be attractive to those that are already there for the 500. Move the final practice to Sat. evening. Practice, qual and pitstop practice Friday.

Pick any number you use for the 500 attendance, and sell tickets at $20-50. 200Kx $25>>> $5 million and even a $1.5 million purse might make up for the time spent for turning the cars.

Daytona "Speedweeks" are nice as you get a ton of racing over a period of time. 24 hour race, shootouts, practice, qual, etc. Multiple events would also garner more press leading up to the 500.
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye
    I agree. Maybe start or end the season in Indy on the road course with a series of events. Maybe even a road race, and short 100-200 mile oval sprint race.

That or look to do something the Saturday before the 500, or month of May. I know turning the cars over would be hell on the teams, but having something early saturday (push the parade out) might be attractive to those that are already there for the 500. Move the final practice to Sat. evening. Practice, qual and pitstop practice Friday.

Pick any number you use for the 500 attendance, and sell tickets at $20-50. 200Kx $25>>> $5 million and even a $1.5 million purse might make up for the time spent for turning the cars.

Daytona "Speedweeks" are nice as you get a ton of racing over a period of time. 24 hour race, shootouts, practice, qual, etc. Multiple events would also garner more press leading up to the 500.

any and or all of that sounds like a hell of an idea....right now IMS is by the AOWR biggest asset.... useing it more sure seems like a no brainer to me
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd love to see that!
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye

Yes! Combining what you and MDS have posted, create some sort of week long series of events. Do it in Indy and make it as fan friendly as possible. Try to create some of the (general) media and fan buzz that used to surround Indy Car events. But don't just make it a one year, make or break thing. Build it. Be devoted to it longer term.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Yes! Combining what you and MDS have posted, create some sort of week long series of events. Do it in Indy and make it as fan friendly as possible. Try to create some of the (general) media and fan buzz that used to surround Indy Car events. But don't just make it a one year, make or break thing. Build it. Be devoted to it longer term.
    Some callers suggested something along those lines to Kevin on Trackside radio. They read a bunch of emails about "how to improve the IndyCar series" tonight. Also spoke with Paul Tracy:

http://www.1070thefan.com/trackside/podcast.aspx

I think what the IRL needs is an exhibition event, an "all star" type race that runs in the fall. It should have a good $$ award for the winner. And it should take place over the course of 2-3 "race days". A qualifying day, and a road course day, and an oval day. I don't know how all the logistics of this would work, or the expenses. I think for the broadcast, they would actually air the road course race in a shortened tape delay prior to the live 100-200 mile oval race. A good 3 hour or so tv package. The results from your road course race will play into where you qualify on the oval. Could be a cool event esp without all the points in consideration, a different strategy would be in play.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No No No No No No No

We do not need another ICS event at Indy. Without the name power of the 500 behind it, an ICS at Indy will only draw 40,000 (high estimate) at a track that seats 200,000. I'm sorry, but I can't make that look good on television.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Some callers suggested something along those lines to Kevin on Trackside radio. They read a bunch of emails about "how to improve the IndyCar series" tonight. Also spoke with Paul Tracy:

http://www.1070thefan.com/trackside/podcast.aspx

I think what the IRL needs is an exhibition event, an "all star" type race that runs in the fall. It should have a good $$ award for the winner. And it should take place over the course of 2-3 "race days". A qualifying day, and a road course day, and an oval day. I don't know how all the logistics of this would work, or the expenses. I think for the broadcast, they would actually air the road course race in a shortened tape delay prior to the live 100-200 mile oval race. A good 3 hour or so tv package. The results from your road course race will play into where you qualify on the oval. Could be a cool event esp without all the points in consideration, a different strategy would be in play.
    First of all, IRL needs a lot, I mean a lot of money to start with. Second thing would be the marketing on how to promote the series. Back in the 90's OpenWheel was pretty much was at the top because racing back then wasn't that complicated. Complicated in a way that when CART was around, their races were diversed. They had the idea of oval, night races, road, street, airports....you name it. And fans back then loved it and that was the best idea. Formula 1 was stuck in Europe and NASCAR was just doing same old same old and these two were not that close to how CART was popular in US. The split came and that put a dagger on the Open Wheel. NASCAR and Formula One took advantage of the split and used similar strategy that CART once was its secret weapon. Now that these split is over...a bit too late to use the old ways coz the other two have taken the spot. MotoGP, Rolex, GP2, NHRA, LeMans...etc....there are too many out there to choose from and too little chance of attracting new fans. Look at this forum alone.

Anyhow, IRL better come up with tons of cash, a good plan for the series and better exposure.

Just my opinion of course.
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis