Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    -rant-
    I could explain to you the lack of popularity if rallying in the US but because it if from me your head would explode.

Basically it is a mix of Cultural, Media and Marketing issues. Rally can become popular in the US but i can see nobody who has the power, influence and money to make it so.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I could explain to you the lack of popularity if rallying in the US but because it if from me your head would explode.

Basically it is a mix of Cultural, Media and Marketing issues. Rally can become popular in the US but i can see nobody who has the power, influence and money to make it so.
    You just figuring that out?
    It was obvious to me at the first event I entered in 1984.

Nothing makes my head explode so lets see what a complete outsider-non-participant says is the key to mass participation on the scale of say a small country of only 5 million, example Finland.

Compare and contrast, I assume since you're a cultured world traveler you can tell us all about the roots of Finnish culture, why Finnish culture differs from the other Noric/Lutheran cultures and why a country with 1/60th the US population has approx multiples more drivers active, hundred more events and has produced generation after generation of WRC caliber drivers...

Background information on your activities in rally would add weight to your explanations.

We await your thesis.

If you don't like to talk about Finland choose some other country where rally has mass participation: Sweden, UK, France come to mind.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 1,885 Times in 738 Posts
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Quote Originally Posted by Macd
    Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed . However I do agree that "Kenny" may be quicker than Wilson but will no doubt be the new Novikov, unable to keep his car on the road for more than two stages.
    Goodness, did I somehow suggest that Kenny would be quicker than Mattie?

I must have mistyped, I doubt he would break into the top 40 on SS times, not on real roads.

I do not think most elsewhere understand the extremely simple and FAST roads all in North America.
    People are always bragging everything is bigger in where ever but I've been on loadsa gravel all over USA and Canada and in UK, Sweden, and on French "D" roads.
    Our trees are BIG, the roads BIG, the roads must be to haul 20m tress out longways with Kenworth semi tractors. It is in a word simple and a big horsepower race.

BIG room for error and big room for recovery.

The stages I've seen elsewhere are relatively speaking bastids for narrowness with ditches and stumps and rocks a couple of inches on one side or the other and thereby very unforgiving.

The level of skill to go quickly is far far higher than over here just from the road width....
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway

Hope he learns some history:
    quote: "Rally just hasn't been as popular in the States because it's been deemed more a European-type sport," Block says. "We haven't had many U.S. drivers that have gotten to that level. There have been a few people that have done one-off events. No one has done multiple events. It's a huge honor to go try to do that.

"There's a lot of pride, and to do it in an American brand, I'm really stoked to have this opportunity."

he forgets John Buffum who is still, in equal machinery, quicker than Block. See Colin McRae Stages 08.

Shameful he is so full of himself he totally misses Buffum who did do multiple events and did quite respectable placings in tough events, as in top 6.

But he's from SoCal, if it wasn't on TV last week it never happened.....
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I was down at Hume today (aussies will know where I mean) and the word there was that a 2 car team of customer Focii for Ken and Chris was a done deal.

Lets hope so, if this is true then I'll be going to NZ as well as Jordan and Turkey.

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Let's hope Atko is included in the deal, otherwise.... No mention of him in the press article.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So Ford Focus WRC in WRC and Ford Fiesta S2000 in Rally America series , very interesting.
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    @ProRally, or a version of the Fiesta Rallycross car which was at X-Games

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    see the news here : http://monsterworldrallyteam.com/
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout: