Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

!6 year old girl wants to sail solo around the world

Jessica Watson intends to sail solo around the world. This despite a serious collision on her way from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney where she will start her Solo Journey. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...mpact+news_rss

I consider her parents to be extremely irresponsible, as the girl obviously doesn't have sufficient yachting experience for such a challenge. I just cannot imagine her trying to sail round Cape Horn - I don't think she fully realises the treacherous conditions of such a trip.

Before you reply to this, please read the link first. Thanks.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    There was a similar story not so long ago about a young woman (14 I think) who wanted to do much the same thing. The difference was she was experienced and had sailed the Atlantic; whereas this 16 year old seems to not have a clue whats she's doing. I hope she follows the advice to back out and learn more before following her dream.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Next headline: 16 year-old Jessica dies while sailing.

This is extraordinarily stupid. She can't even chart correct way points.
    I have 0 experience in sailing but surfing has taught me to respect the ocean.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    In The Netherlands there is currently a 13-year old girl that wants to attempt a solo-trip around the world. The Authorities brought this to court, because in NL you need to stay in school until you are 16. Of course the girl lost, so she attempted to relocate to New-Zealand (she has multiple passports). This was also refused because of pending investigations about the fathers parentship.

The mother is against this trip, but the father is very pushy to let her go. They are divorced by the way.

The girl already sailed solo from NL to UK. On arriving in the UK she got locked up, because over there they do not allow children so young on the sea. The father refused to get her because "she got their solo, she can come back solo"... He only came over after it was made clear she would be taken away from him if he left her.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    In The Netherlands there is currently a 13-year old girl that wants to attempt a solo-trip around the world. The Authorities brought this to court, because in NL you need to stay in school until you are 16. Of course the girl lost, so she attempted to relocate to New-Zealand (she has multiple passports). This was also refused because of pending investigations about the fathers parentship.

The mother is against this trip, but the father is very pushy to let her go. They are divorced by the way.

The girl already sailed solo from NL to UK. On arriving in the UK she got locked up, because over there they do not allow children so young on the sea. The father refused to get her because "she got their solo, she can come back solo"... He only came over after it was made clear she would be taken away from him if he left her.
    Thats the story I was remembering.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    May not be a wise thing to do, but hey..atleast she has the balls to do it
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_spackman
    May not be a wise thing to do, but hey..atleast she has the balls to do it
    Want to rephrase??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    there's no fun telling i told you so to the families in this
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a few weeks a teenage boy (he was 17 i think) sailed arived in calaforna after sailing around the world, it was a struggle for him and he was even chased by pirates, but he made it back,

so if this girl wants to do this, then why not?

today is my 18th birthday so i guess i'm more than old enough to sail around the world, but i personally dont want to, becouse i guess theres probalby alot of places on the sea where i couldn't get internet access
    2009 Truck Pick'em Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    because Wade...you've got to know what you want..and judging by the link,I doubt the girl knows what she is up against
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese: