Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Rallying has always been raw. It's easier to bring those VIPs to a classy track restaurant than to transport them with buses to "crappy VIP park" set up on some muddy field.

And as said above, it takes effort to follow rally. I love planning etc. but many people don't. They just want to see action easily. F1 is also great for TV - and what's even more important: it's easy to cover. Rally again... A lot harder.

I'm not one of those who cries and whines about the current situation of WRC. I still love every rally. The pure exitement and rally fever are still there for me. The only thing I would like to change in the modern WRC is the rally template. Normally three stages in the morning and then those three again in the afternoon. Every time there is exeption to this, things get really interesting. (Finland, upcoming Australia, Norway 2007, etc.) Luckily Simon Long has said that they'll try to get rid of that template.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess its different from country to country. www.motorsport.no just had a vote for :"What championship do you wanna see on TV?" And here are the results..

EM i rallycross(ERC) (40.5%)

Formel 1 (14.2%)

MotoGP (8.8%)

Rally VM(WRC) (31.1%)

STCC (5.4%)
    Never give up...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFL
    I guess its different from country to country. www.motorsport.no just had a vote for :"What championship do you wanna see on TV?" And here are the results..

EM i rallycross(ERC) (40.5%)

Formel 1 (14.2%)

MotoGP (8.8%)

Rally VM(WRC) (31.1%)

STCC (5.4%)
    not a big surprise, norway has had 1 reasonable driver in both rally and rallycross, i guess it explaines the result.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the WRC Is a wild by nature kind of motorsports , while the F1,
    Is more trendy and shinny, If you know what I mean...
    Maybe that's why more people are attracted there.
    So I guess, It's a matter of promotion mostly, and not
    a matter of quality; both of them offer high excitement!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    F1 has far more investment and is more glamorous. Difficult to be glamorous in a muddy paddock with cars based on those used by the ordinary working class.

I think the cloverleaf idea works well in countries like Jordan where there aren't many people likely to come and see the rally, and those that do will want to go to as many stages as possible. However, it's terrible for more traditional events where more people are likely to be able to come out to the stages.

Makes me think that perhaps the superspecial idea has been pushed too far. They bring rallying to the cityfolk, and would be an ideal place to entertain VIPs if they're in a glamorous stadium, kind of thing. But having a route that spends some time in outlying towns is a better way to bring rallying to a diverse variety of spectators.

Now that the internet is so widespread, it shouldn't harm the fans at home, either.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    Rallying has always been raw. It's easier to bring those VIPs to a classy track restaurant than to transport them with buses to "crappy VIP park" set up on some muddy field.

And as said above, it takes effort to follow rally. I love planning etc. but many people don't. They just want to see action easily. F1 is also great for TV - and what's even more important: it's easy to cover. Rally again... A lot harder.

I'm not one of those who cries and whines about the current situation of WRC. I still love every rally. The pure exitement and rally fever are still there for me. The only thing I would like to change in the modern WRC is the rally template. Normally three stages in the morning and then those three again in the afternoon. Every time there is exeption to this, things get really interesting. (Finland, upcoming Australia, Norway 2007, etc.) Luckily Simon Long has said that they'll try to get rid of that template.
    Very good post, its easy to agree on every point, rally is much more than super drivers and game consult drivers at service park, the worst vision would be if rally would be watered to become a mainstream sport that everyone likes, its very good as it is today, very little to correct.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LCD
    I think the WRC Is a wild by nature kind of motorsports , while the F1,
    Is more trendy and shinny, If you know what I mean...
    Maybe that's why more people are attracted there.
    So I guess, It's a matter of promotion mostly, and not
    a matter of quality; both of them offer high excitement!
    Total agree with you LCD!
    At least in our country we can't compare the promotion of WRC and F1...
    ..speed with no limits..
    fan of Kimi Raikkonen and Mikko Hirvonen:champion:

Liked 1,786 Times in 422 Posts
    I think that those super specials held on the city streets are way to go. The stadium 8-ths are quite boring and are maybe ok when the service park is near to the stadium and then there might be SS before the finish Ramp for example :-) So, when you want to see rally finish then you can enjoy some driving as well.
    But city sss are very nice for two reasons.

1. People who are lazy enough can go and see the cars with very little effort. And might get excited enough to go and see real stages.

2. It is good promotion for the rally when the first stage is held on the streets of major city and people on that city are informed vi various channels (information about closed roads, neighbors call you to spectate on their balcony, you can hear the sound of the car etc.).

3. Less "non-rally people" on stages. Less troubles :-)

4. More variety on the stage.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    No women/girls.. That's bad.. Where're women/girls there's glamour.. That's what rally needs for popularity.. To much male sweat around our sport..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis
    ...To much male sweat around our sport..