Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    What they need is a new version of the Hanford device. This provided some of the best racing ever known to open wheel. I don't know the reason for it going away but to me it seem like a simple short term solution.
    The Hanford device only worked at 2 tracks, Michigan and California, where the banking and arc of the turns meant you could take multiple lines through the turns and needed little aero grip to make the turn. When they took the Hanford to other tracks (Homestead, Milwaukee, Gateway) the racing was terrible.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    Care to make a bet of some sort?
    What do you want to wager?
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastandwynn
    The Hanford device only worked at 2 tracks, Michigan and California, where the banking and arc of the turns meant you could take multiple lines through the turns and needed little aero grip to make the turn. When they took the Hanford to other tracks (Homestead, Milwaukee, Gateway) the racing was terrible.
    They only used the HD at MIS & Fontana at first. When they tried the experiment on the smaller tracks they had a smaller version of it that didn't have as large of an effect. Plus, they were still making them use speedway wings. The racing wasn't marvelous at those tracks like you mention but it wasn't because the HD didn't work. At any rate, it was much better than what we have here. I'm not saying the HD is the answer but if they're using the bandaid approach, it is one of those that doesn't stick & hurts when you pull it off.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    What do you want to wager?

Wow...I'm proud of you for acknowledging the offer!

Rough draft proposal: DP quals 8th or better and I have a 1 race ban from the forum. So from the time the Kenucky race ends Sat night until the next race ends (checker to checker flag at mid-ohio). She qualifies 9th or worse and you have the same ban...no posting for 2 weeks for the loser!

Bonus bet, since you claim she'll win this week. If DP finishes 3rd or better I'll lay off posting the obvious about her the rest of this season (opinions only, news and facts are fair game). If she doesn't finish at least third, you can't predict she'll win or be on the podium the rest of this year AND you have to retract your statement last week to the effect she's proved how talented she is on road courses so all talk to the contrary is "rubbish".

Now, we're on a speedway so going with the "big 3" concept that AGR still has the aero development to run fast here, there is no way she can't qualify at least eight. It really has absolutely nothing to do with skill here, the question is how many of her teammates outqualify her and do the NHL and KV cars get in the mix. I think this bet is way more than fair, in fact I'd say you have slightly better than 50 50 odds.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Rick
    So in theory, if the stuckness is positive (it is +73 at Kentucky), the drivers never have to lift? If it goes negative with old tires it may be interesting.
    Is the coefficient of friction (1.5)for the tires with a new tire, a scuff, or an average?
    Do you know the difference of static coefficient of friction to dynamic CofF on the tires. If they are far apart the car goes away fast, closer makes for a gradual drift.
    I have wondered about the tires but there's not much data out there, and there are several different compounds.
    There is no way of me knowing more than the general range of the tires, 1.4 - 1.7. Same with the downforce. Now when someone tells me one of the unknowns, which they do from time to time, I can get pretty close.

This is the "ballpark" for Kentucky, they run a Minimum Wing Angle which is likely quite a bit more downforce than I have listed. The only time DF comes into question is behind another car.

Now if you look at Texas, they could lap all day long WOT with no downforce. It is completely different than Kentucky, closer to Michigan and Fontana from a cornering perspective.

The Handford device was mainly a drag chute used to reign in the 850 HP and was downsized considerably for the last Fontana show due to power cuts..

At Texas you have to keep speeds down with drag or a power restricter.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Weather for the weekend looks to be good - Friday and Saturday both partly cloudy and mid-80s, maybe 70s by qualifying/race time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727
    Weather for the weekend looks to be good - Friday and Saturday both partly cloudy and mid-80s, maybe 70s by qualifying/race time.
    Nice. Im heading out around 5am for Kentucky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    Nice. Im heading out around 5am for Kentucky.

So are we on or not?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, everyone have a great weekend. Im finishing up packing and getting ready for bed. Up and early to head to the Kentucky Speedway tomorrow.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I guess we see how big of a fan you really are...you haven't even bothered to decline the bet. Is that a sign of your confidence?