Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Men and the Mid Life Crisis

What is it with all you men and your mid life crisis?

About three weeks ago a 45 year old single friend called me (in the middle of the night, as only single people do ) and we got chatting about cars. I didn't know what he drove, I only ever see the vehicle he uses for work, and stupidly guessed at it being a navy blue Mondeo or Vectra. He was annoyed as I made him sound boring and middle aged .....

Two nights later a text arrived. My guess had been too close to the truth (he had a black Vectra) so he'd bought a BMW Z4. That night I slept with my head in my hands wondering what I'd started

A few days ago I watched him eat his lunch. Not the normal junk, he'd converted to fruit juice and salad. His usual ill-fitting jeans, tatty trainers, V neck sweater and tshirt had transformed into perfectly fitted jeans, quality shoes and a nice shirt. I never knew he had such a fine ass :

Bless him, he's hit his mid life crisis face on. Sadly the car means he'll probably never feel a woman's touch again, but at least he's tried .......

On tuesday Neil Morissey (sp?) of Men Behaving Badly fame will be having a polo lesson at a club local to me. Another crisis in it's infancy.

Men of the forum, I beg you not to do this to yourselves.
    45 is not 25.
    You have been warned
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    If he's got the Z4 and is dressing as The Town Dude now, he may not feel a woman's touch, but it sounds like what he's seeking is a girl's touch.

I'm about this guy's age. And when I go out on a (purely) fun date, I don't want to hear about biological clocks, ex-husbands, rug rats, medical problems or anything else. So for pure fun & games, yeah, I tend to go out with girls who are often a fair amount younger than me. As long as I don't have to drop them off at school in the morning, I figure they're old enough. I'm not looking for a wife and they're not looking for a husband - so until it gets weird, we're on the same page.

As for cars, I have the same taste in cars now that I had when I was in my 20's... the only difference is, I can afford more of them now. And I learned a loooong time ago, a hot car will attract a hot girl. It's like an ice breaker with wheels.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It is not a mid-life crisis. That is just a term used by woman who hate the fact that a man has finally reached the financial level where he can indulge in what he always wanted.....and it is not her.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    It is not a mid-life crisis. That is just a term used by woman who hate the fact that a man has finally reached the financial level where he can indulge in what he always wanted.....and it is not her.
    Pretty close to what I was going to say. Much of what is described as mid life crisis is nothing more than finally getting your finances down to where you can afford that car, boat, motorcycle, ultralite aircraft, or whatever.

I think mid life crisis is nothing more than women angry because by and large we don't care about our gray hair, wrinkles, fat and other signs of aging. Although we may be getting older, we are still attracted by the things we were when we were young. Just look at women's magazine covers "Lose ten pounds in ten days!" "6 ways to make those wrinkles disappear forever!" "11 ways to drive him wild in bed!" "Is he cheating? the 5 signs that say he is!" blah blah blah. You don't see that crap in men's magazines because we don't care. We do care about the top ten sportscars, cordless tools, and napping on the sofa instead of mowing the yard.

Heres 4 ways to drve him wild in bed without having to buy a magazine:

You do all the "work" for a change.

When finished, go make him a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich on toast.

Give him the remote and the sandwich.

Shut up.

There you go, a night he'll appreciate and remember.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    My guess had been too close to the truth (he had a black Vectra) so he'd bought a BMW Z4. That night I slept with my head in my hands wondering what I'd started
    That's definately a midlifecrisismobile. Likewise a former colleague of mine who the moment he hit 40 chopped in his reliable sensible car for an Audi TT (and also his reliable sensible missus for a 19 year old, but that's another story).

Meanwhile, some of us may have just bought a people carrier...
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe its your fault, you make him think he's boring so he has to do those things because he lost his self esteem. He might need better friends. Well if he can afford to change lifestyle, good for him.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    Just look at women's magazine covers "Lose ten pounds in ten days!" "6 ways to make those wrinkles disappear forever!" "11 ways to drive him wild in bed!" "Is he cheating? the 5 signs that say he is!" blah blah blah. You don't see that crap in men's magazines because we don't care.
    More than that, some of us (me ) don't even read men's magazines just because we don't need to. We know it all.
    Llibertat

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I hope I can get to a point in my career where I can afford a mid-life crisis.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Me too, although I'd rather go through it on a Porsche 911
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Likewise a former colleague of mine who the moment he hit 40 chopped in his reliable sensible car for an Audi TT (and also his reliable sensible missus for a 19 year old, but that's another story).
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me..., though I'd go for a Porsche/Aston.

She hasn't got a twin sister has she...???

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???