Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muggle not
    Shoot, when you have as many friends as Combs and Junior Johnson you need a 1000 gallon still.
    When you brew good shine, apparently everyone is your friend if you are selling it Tax free. Good to see some Southern Traditions have lived on....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

from the piedmontdistillers site :
    "Midnight Moon is made from American corn, 80 proof and triple-distilled
    to deliver an ultra-smooth, clean tasting spirit ..."
    ================================================== ======
    Double-run is the norm, triple-run should produce a superb smooth taste, I must taste it !
    I love sour mash corn whiskey, George Dickel No.8 is my drink of choice.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    The fun begins at 100 (proof) - at 190, all the world is a happy place. So if it won't burn blue, don't waste your money.

Other than the legality, the main thing to worry about is making sure that it's not been run through a car radiator or something like that - unless you want to be led around by a dog for the rest of your life. But with that stainless steel boiler, it sounds like Combs was all about quality.

Where I grew up, people would kill hogs around Thanksgiving. They'd rotate to a different person's farm every year to hang them and dress them. As a boy, your first step to being seen as a man by the old lions was when they'd let you pop a hog with a .22 between the eyes or behind the ear. If you didn't lose your nerve and start crying, they'd offer you a little swig of white lightning afterward. I guess for this generation of soft & weak, overweight, video game kids, that might be hard to explain as a rite of passage.

Since I'm all "law & order" on most other issues, I guess this will make me a hypocrit. But I hope Combs gets off light.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb

I have found that an alcohol content above 90 proof makes for a harsh drink to my taste.
    You can call me weak or soft, I don't really care because I know what I like.

For me 80 proof makes for a good drink whether mixed or savored straight-up ...
    I like to sip on a small glass of George Dickel No.8 straight-up or sometimes on the rocks ...
    it is hard to beat the taste of a good sour mash whiskey IMO.
    (NOTE : Jack Daniels claims to be the best but it's nasty whang lacks the smoothness of George Dickel IMO.)

Midnight Moon's triple-run process intrigues me, I have to taste it.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    I have found that an alcohol content above 90 proof makes for a harsh drink to my taste.

I like to sip on a small glass of George Dickel No.8 straight-up or sometimes on the rocks ...
    (NOTE : Jack Daniels claims to be the best but it's nasty whang lacks the smoothness of George Dickel IMO.)

RFS, those that buy the bigger alcohol content then water it down with 7-up or some other beverage. they don't enjoy the sippin' pleasure of good smooth liquor.
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan

Nah, not weak or soft... you just didn't start drinking young enough.

I might pick up some of that Midnight Moon just to see what it's like. I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but it might be nice to have around.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by muggle not
    RFS, those that buy the bigger alcohol content then water it down with 7-up or some other beverage. they don't enjoy the sippin' pleasure of good smooth liquor.
    Where I grew up, if it came out of a jar and it didn't burn blue, you didn't drink it. Just the rule of thumb (for safety's sake). And please don't let anybody see you mixing 'shine with 7-up (or anything else). If you must, just get a glass of branch or spring water to chase it with. Grain punch is an OK exception for parties. Anything more is like serving white wine with Angus steaks.

Everyone's palate is different. But it's a myth that all 170-190 proof corn liquor hits you the same way or is harsh. What you get from Franklin County won't necessarily taste the same as what comes out of Mt. Airy - but it's all good... or so I've heard. Being a good church going boy with high morals, I never got around that sort of sin and vice. mokin:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Consider me a fan of not drinking shine. I gave up hard liquor a long time ago. I didn't mind it...but it didn't like me. Give me a cold Lager, or a pint of Guinness and that is my thing...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Consider me a fan of not drinking shine. I gave up hard liquor a long time ago. I didn't mind it...but it didn't like me. Give me a cold Lager, or a pint of Guinness and that is my thing...

I'll drink to that
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ