Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pointing out permanent tracks have other revenue is exactly the point....those tracks are not going to be built for spectator events. NJMP wasn't even really designed for large spectator events. Starter due a google search, there are New Jersey newspaper articles circa 2005 2006 citing it as a 150 million construction project. I looked because I was curious people have in the past cited the costs of street circuit construction as on the order of 5 or 10 million. So the only way a permanent facilty makes any sense is if you can use it continuously for many many years. In other words no permanent tracks are going to be built for the purpose of having an IRL race - which is the absurd flip side of the of insisting there will not be any new street races. All this thread has done is made clear the IRL will not be on ANY new circuits any time soon.

Maybe that was a real difference between Champ Car and the IRL. One can only race on pre-existing tracks, perhaps in the middle of nowhere, and one could build out to reach new fans and sponsors. If that is true, I have no idea why you want to celebrate and promote that, which seems to be the point of this thread.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How much did it cost to build the track?
    Including the additions and improvements that have been made since the track opened in 2006, the cost totals approximately $100 million.

SUMMARY

Miller Motorsports Park is the most advanced, safest and best-equipped road racing facility in North America. So outstanding was its design and execution that it was named "Motorsports Facility of the Year" by the Professional Motorsport World Expo in Cologne, Germany, on November 8, 2006. The facility offers something for everyone, with outstanding fan amenities, unmatched corporate meeting and entertainment options and the finest paddock and garages available for teams. Miller Motorsports Park is a significant addition to the national road racing industry, and a major component of the ever-growing Salt Lake City sporting mark

* above is from the faqs section of the Miller Motor Sports website....I'm not sure if that includes the cost of land, although I suspect it does....
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Infineon Raceway owns 1,600 acres in the beautiful Sonoma Valley, 900 of which is used for daily racing activities.
    More than nine and a half million cubic yards of dirt were moved on the Infineon Raceway property during the $50-million Modernization Plan from 2000-2002.

*peeking around the website reveals some other interesting tidbits.... the last time the track changed hands it was purchased at auction for only 800k...

even in 1981 1600 acres in Sonoma Valley for 800k had to be a friggin steal
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    this is just silly....

of coarse someone, some group... some city is going to try again... this is AOWR after all

Tony himself wanted to run 'the' Vegas parking lot instead of the oval
    The IRL's new stratedy should be to do exactly the opposit of
    whatever TG decides to do

since everything he has implimented since the Split has proved to
    be wrong, then doing exactly the opposite must be right....

why not???

Long live the VISION

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDevil5
    The IRL's new stratedy should be to do exactly the opposit of whatever TG decides to do, since everything he has implimented since the Split has proved to be wrong, then doing exactly the opposite must be right....
    My disdain for King George is well known here, but I think you can hardly say EVERYTHING he has done since the split has proved to be wrong. After all who was the last man standing?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDevil5
    since everything he has implimented since the Split has proved to
    be wrong, then doing exactly the opposite must be right....

why not???
    Ask Kalkhoven, Forsythe, Petit & Gentilozzi.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    This thread is about whether there will ever be a new street race attempted.
    If your question is will a street race EVER be attempted? Then the obvous answer is yes it will be attempted. But not while the IRL is still weak. That's the mistake that CCWS made.

Pre-split CART started several street races and that were succesful. Surfers Paradise being one example that IRL is now too weak to continue.

So it's not street taces that are the problem for their failure as you are trying to make the case. It's the lack of enthusiasm in the general population for a racing seires that is weak and all but irrelevant that's the problem.

Everyone knew who Mario Andretti was and they wanted to see him race. Do enough their grandkids even care about Marco Andretti enough to pay for race tickets today?

And that's why I keep saying that your premise is flawed. CCWS was weak. The IRL is weak. It was the series that failed the race, not the race that failed the series.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWS77
    It cost 150 million to build New Jersey Motor Park. I don't know why you would think getting mired in city politics over a million or two to is a big deal in comparison. The real point here is that most likely no one will be building any new state of the art racing tracks. If it is a street course or not hardly seems relevant. In other words, get used to the tracks that are already there.
    My point is a situation like Belle Isle in Detroit could very easily be made into a permanent park venue, like Fundidora, or Hermanos Rodriguez, or even Monza, Not be seen as a total waste of government money and still be used by taxpayers for other events. It's no different than the age old practice os wasting millions of dollars of taxpayers money on temporary structures to save a short term buck. If they are going to spend public money anywhere, at all, spend it on a durable permanent structure like the track at Mexico city. I've played soccer, tennis, baseball, ridden my bicycle and swam in the aquatics center there.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    Surfers Paradise being one example that IRL is now too weak to continue.
    Exactly how does an impasse over scheduling equate to weakness. I am not saying the IRL is not weak right now but the snafu at Surfers is not attributable to that.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Wayyyyy off topic here, just an interesting tidbit. Feel free to skip over it.

Everytime I hear the NIMBY problem applied to road courses I think of my local track, Summit Point in West Virginia. Homeland Security bought some of the land and certain access rights in order to train gov't employees how to drive. Suddenly, every obnoxious anti-racing NIMBY organization in the area were told to kiss off by the federal government. I had never been so proud of homeland security in my life!
    Formula Platypus 2012