Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

We find out today...

The FIA will unveil later today in Monaco the raft of cost cuts that look set to secure the sport's future.

No details of what was agreed have yet been released in public, but it is understood they revolve around dramatic cuts in testing - which perhaps go as far as a total in-season testing ban - plus reductions in wind tunnel work and aerodynamic development.

Furthermore, it is believed that the FIA will approve an 11th hour decision to drop plans for a standard engine for 2010 after the manufacturers agreed themselves to supply cheap power units to independent teams.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72449
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Furthermore, it is believed that the FIA will approve an 11th hour decision to drop plans for a standard engine for 2010 after the manufacturers agreed themselves to supply cheap power units to independent teams.
    Didn't see that one coming

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    ...and the winner is ? Luca di Montezemolo :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    No in-season testing at all, surely not?? So they will be putting new parts on cars that havnt even been checked out on track, thats safe isnt it?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    So, it turns out that Lewis Hamilton's remarks yesterday about the standard engine not happening, which sounded like a misreading of the situation to me, were correct. Excellent news for F1. See, it wasn't beyond the wit of man for them to cut costs and avoid the Cosworth option!

Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Didn't see that one coming
    Indeed, and what, I wonder, happens to Cosworth who bid for and won the contract which (it appears) may have now been dropped?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72442

I think we're missing the message here.

Max has been out "Maxed" I think. He held this threat of standard engines over the teams and they have responded with a package that has swamped him. It seems that the teams have finally started properly working together and have rewritten the FIA rule books by consensus.

So, next year, we will get closer, cheaper racing i think.

However, did you see the caveat at the end. You're forgetting Bernie in this little love-in.

Knockie hypothesis is this. Bernie is still hoping to charge top $$$ for the commercial right to F1 but is being battered by an increasing number of circuits. He is going to have to move his position and negotiate.

If FOTA can provide a united front with the teams and the FIA, they might secure additional funding from FOG/FOM thereby redressing the inequality in the sport.

I see Bernie as the rather meaty filling in a FOTA / FIA sandwich.

Knowing Bernie though, he's not too bothered as he's sold off 90% of the business and the 10% is in his estranged wife's name

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Indeed, and what, I wonder, happens to Cosworth who bid for and won the contract which (it appears) may have now been dropped?

Well, we still have F2

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    No in-season testing at all, surely not?? So they will be putting new parts on cars that havnt even been checked out on track, thats safe isnt it?
    That's why they should have an unrestricted Friday test day. So they can test new parts etc, without any restrictions on tyres, engines, etc.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Well, we still have F2
    Oh yeah. I do remember reading a while ago that someone has signed up to drive in that series, but they'll have Audi power.

Having just checked...Max said: "We have completed the tendering process and are now in exclusive negotiations with Cosworth together with Xtrac and Ricardo Transmissions (XR) to supply a complete Formula One power train starting in 2010."

I guess those negotiations will just stop