Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Historical Surfer's Speeds

This course, like most street course's is very sensitive speedwise to getting rubber down. By looking at the P1-3 and Q times over the years you can tell when there has been rain interspersed vs when the rubber is allowed to build up over days.

The Panoz is obviously the fastest, with red tires, P2P, and more downforce than any of the other cars that would be expected.

The Dallara slots in very similar to the 2004 Champ Car, less horsepower, 4 MPH slower on straights, but better tires and mechanical grip.

What would it take to make the Dallara run with the Panoz, if we get the 50 HP I am hearing for road courses that would take about 1/2 the gap away at a track like this. Since the Panoz didn't have to meet any particular rules, it is tough for cars built under a much more restrictive ie. competitive environment to compete unless they opened up the aero, unlikely until the new car.

So the record is safe until the new car unless of course we don't come back.

Practice 1, 2, 3
    Qualifying 1
    Best Lap of race

Thoughts?

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Barnhart said that next season they will be adding an extra 50 hp for road courses, anyone know how this will be accomplished?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfalzone
    Barnhart said that next season they will be adding an extra 50 hp for road courses, anyone know how this will be accomplished?
    I'd guess RPM..
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop-98
    I'd guess RPM..
    True but then I wonder about Honda's reliability.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think they can do it at about 10,900. That should be manageable. Easier than the sustained high rpm on an Oval.

I am sure Honda had plenty on input, if in fact it wasn't their idea.

That should put them pretty much on par with the 06 Lola's.
    rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nickfalzone
    Adding another pedal so you can use both feet at once.
    :dork: 1 of Original 100 Members

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    So long as it has more power exceeding grip so they don't look slow and sluggish.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    So long as it has more power exceeding grip...

Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reason the DP01 was faster than the Lola was it had more grip in faster turns and bends, many bends and esses that you had to lift in the Lola could be flatfooted in the DP01.

And we know what an out roar of protest there was about that DP01 grip exceeding power eh ...

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cars are going to be faster on ovals than road courses. Duh. When a DP01 goes 220 somewhere, let me know.

Street courses tend to be slower than natural road courses, anywhere from arosund 98 to 115 miles an hour per lap. Being that slow, other open-wheel formulae close any gaps somewhat on those kind of courses. Indeed, with the power-weight ratio and quick steering, I wonder what a spruced-up endurance kart would do on one of these.

But 50 more HP? Whatever.......