Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    MJW

The Technical Regulations for 2010 (part 2)

Just read in Autosport magazine that at a series of recent meetings in Paris it was not possible to reach agreement on the details of the technical specification for the new WRCar (Super 2000+) As things stand at present it will be December 2008 before the detail is announced. Sources indicated to Autosport that they feared that if by November's World Council meeting that agreement could not be reached then the FIA could impose the current S2000 rules, therby dismissing S2000+.
    Seeing that Peugeot, FIAT, Toyota, Skoda, MG, Proton, Opel all have cars built / designed or seeking homologation for S2000, I wonder if these manufactureres will follow through and go the S2000+ route.
    I just think that all this is adding to the confusion and goes totally against the stability that the manufactureres have been asking for. Coupled with the lack of a global promoter for WRC and continuing uncertainty I wonder if by 2010 S2000 and IRC becomes the "new wrc"

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    If the FIA/World Motorsport Council were doing their job properly they would address this issue as soon as possible. To be blunt the WRC is in a mess, very little promotion, little Manufacturer interest - and what are they doing about it? Exactly, not a lot!!
    Both the WTCC & WRC are needing help, yet they sit idly by and take no notice. There is more to Motorsport than F1 - sort it out!!!
    You can't blame Manufacturers from not joining when there is no clear leadership, no regs, calendar, etc

Lets have S2000/S2000+ but make it cheap and spectacular, WRCars are fantastic technology but not spectacular, and sound like strangled farts. As for the calendar; 12 rounds, Jan - Dec, 4 'classics' the other 8 rotate, 6 week gap in summer. To be honest I wouldn't think about going to new countries yet - the WRC isn't in a strong enough position to be doing this yet. Don't run before you can walk. Let's have plenty of Manufacturers/Cars/Drivers - then the interest will come if there are plenty of drivers challenging.
    As for the Rallies - I think the time for all compact routes is coming to an end. In the main it has had the opposite effect of promoting the sport, an event in a small area is of no use. If countries want a compact route then fine, but countries like Monte, GB should be allowed more spread out routes.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

Point of no return ?

When would the point of no return, or cut off date be for when the manufacturers need a firm set of regulations to build a car from.

How many more months can FIA use to decide, before 2010 will have to be done with S2000 and not S2000+ ?

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Just read in Autosport magazine that at a series of recent meetings in Paris it was not possible to reach agreement on the details of the technical specification for the new WRCar (Super 2000+) As things stand at present it will be December 2008 before the detail is announced. Sources indicated to Autosport that they feared that if by November's World Council meeting that agreement could not be reached then the FIA could impose the current S2000 rules, therby dismissing S2000+.
    Seeing that Peugeot, FIAT, Toyota, Skoda, MG, Proton, Opel all have cars built / designed or seeking homologation for S2000, I wonder if these manufactureres will follow through and go the S2000+ route.
    I just think that all this is adding to the confusion and goes totally against the stability that the manufactureres have been asking for. Coupled with the lack of a global promoter for WRC and continuing uncertainty I wonder if by 2010 S2000 and IRC becomes the "new wrc"
    Was there something what the details are?
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    Was there something what the details are?
    No - just that there could be no agreement on the "kit" and David Lapworth was quoted as saying that the new regs must allow for the WRC cars to remain at a certain level of hi-tech.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    No - just that there could be no agreement on the "kit" and David Lapworth was quoted as saying that the new regs must allow for the WRC cars to remain at a certain level of hi-tech.
    I despair, they really don't get it do they? Hi-tech is all well and good but expensive. We want cheap, but spectacular loud cars. Simple!!
    When will this get through to them?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I despair, they really don't get it do they? Hi-tech is all well and good but expensive. We want cheap, but spectacular loud cars. Simple!!
    When will this get through to them?
    YESS, and so cheap and available that any team can buy them and fight for victory !

Today they are to expensive, and sophisticated in their construction, and you need an armada of engineers to make them work for a season !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You forgot Volvo and Seat.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Today they are to expensive, and sophisticated in their construction, and you need an armada of engineers to make them work for a season !
    Global promotion may not be to the fore in the WRC. However, what Sulland has posted is a big push factor for manufacturers. Why should they enter a championship which takes so much effort and offers so little?

Promotion has to be improved, costs have to be cut and regulations need to be put in place, and permanently (or at least for a few years, none of this rule-changing BS every season!)

I like what I've heard of S2000, but I need to read more about it. I don't have enough information about the category. Whats more important is that whatever the FIA do decide on, they do it now.

Anyway, I'm only repeating the rant again
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can someone tell me the difference between S2000 and S2000+?

There needs to be something on paper for the teams to follow.
    You can't fly blind forever!
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011