Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I don't believe that the influence of either was as appalling as those on the further reaches of the left suggest, but I do feel that they often forgot the wider human effects of some of their more significant policies.
    Point out the "appalling" things they did, especially Reagan.

the "further left" consists of people whom such things as logic and realistic thinking have abandoned long ago.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, he created the Muhjadeen / Taliban to fight the Rooskies in 'Stan, and that came back and bit everyones ass, he supplied Saddam with the chemical weapons which were later used to kill defenceless Kurds, and he backed the Contras in Nicaragua in their murderous efforts to overthrow a democratically elected government..I could go on all night.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mcglinchey
    Well, he created the Muhjadeen / Taliban to fight the Rooskies in 'Stan, and that came back and bit everyones ass, he supplied Saddam with the chemical weapons which were later used to kill defenceless Kurds, and he backed the Contras in Nicaragua in their murderous efforts to overthrow a democratically elected government..I could go on all night.
    Your obviously not thinking logically if you do not agree with Garry.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rah
    Your obviously not thinking logically if you do not agree with Garry.
    Ruined a good logical 'further right' neo spin.
    What was he thinking?
    Won't you re-up for the greatest moral cause since Sodom and Gomorrah?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think whilst colonialism is a think of the past, they've enforced a neo-liberal approach on the whole world.

They've also been partly responsibly for globalisation, by opening our markets up in the name of "free trade", when they're anything but free trade. They're a way of control, which they use institutions such as WTO, World Bank, IMF etc to control. So while we no longer live in a world of direct colonialism, we live in a world of economic colonialism so to speak.

And with the opening of world economies through globalisation, situations like today where we are in a world recession affects us all, for example Northern Rock was all started in USA.

Then for the UK we're got privatised utilties, so we've got energy prices going up 40% despite their profits being over £1billion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think whilst colonialism is a think of the past, they've enforced a neo-liberal approach on the whole world.

They've also been partly responsibly for globalisation, by opening our markets up in the name of "free trade", when they're anything but free trade. They're a way of control, which they use institutions such as WTO, World Bank, IMF etc to control. So while we no longer live in a world of direct colonialism, we live in a world of economic colonialism so to speak.

And with the opening of world economies through globalisation, situations like today where we are in a world recession affects us all, for example Northern Rock was all started in USA.

Then for the UK we're got privatised utilties, so we've got energy prices going up 40% despite their profits being over £1billion.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, Reagan is dead and Thatcher isn't in power anymore, so I think it's good.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have never lived in Britain, but my impression is that Thatcher's style of leadership contributed to a less caring society in general, that whole eighties yuppie "breakfast is for wimps and only losers take the bus" attitude has lowered the general quality of life. However, it's not like those that followed have done such a good job. In fact, could Thatcher's style of government be the reason for the emergence of Blair's New Labour? I'm not blaming, just wondering....

As for her stance on Northern Ireland, I thought she got it so, so wrong, especially during the hungerstrikes, her attiutude to the Irish government, everything. British colonialism at its worst.

And Reagan? I just remember feeling terrified that he'd lose it completely and start WWIII.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maggie could not have pulled off what she did without the North Sea Oil. See what Norway did with their revenues from the oil.

Reagan was a horrible horrible man. The Savings and Loans crisis was of his doing. See Oliver North for what Reagan was really about.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    To the memories of Reagan and Thatcher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLH5mCIGcvc

I'm sure there's still room for Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt and their lapdog Blair in the Fletcher Memorial Home.
    I could really use a fish right now