Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 hour daytona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

24 hour daytona

Ok, so I saw mention to this in another thread and I have heard of it once before. I am rather new to racing so is this liek nascar racing. I know that Scott Dixon won it once and Milka Duno did too and I saw on wiki thta Danica was in it. What is it exactly, a bunch of different races happening in 24 hours, are there open wheel cars?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Grand-AM sportscar version of 24 hrs of LeMans held in Daytona Speedway on the road course. Drivers from many different series and disciplines usually participate.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's one, long 24-hour sports car race.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, so what kind of cars race there?

like were all the racers that i mentioned above in sport cars like nascar kinda?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well the cars are divided into two classes. The faster class is known as Daytona Prototypes. The chassis uses a carbon fiber monocoque and a steel roll cage so you could call it a hybrid of an open-wheel car and a stock car.

The slower class is known as Grand Touring. The cars are modified street cars. The class is usually dominated with Ferraris and Porsches, but Pontiac and Mazda have been having strong showings lately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The cars at the Daytona 24 Hour race are Grand Am spec sportscars in two classes, the "Daytona Prototype" and "Grand Touring." Both types have roofs. Daytona prototypes are a tube framed chasses with V8 engines (save the handful of Porsche prototypes), several chassis are available along with several engine makes. The GT cars are either lower tech "true" GTs like the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (several specs below the Le Mans 911) or Grand Am "Prep 2" chassis, which are really generic tube frame cars with sillouette bodywork and a stock-based engine.

This thread belongs in the GT forum, so I'm moving it there... will leave a redirect.

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the only thing i can say is, i cant wait for the 24 hours of daytona cuz im going next year!
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The series' website is http://grand-am.com/ and if you get the SPEED channel they're having a race up in Montreal today, airing tonight at 8pm ET.

The motorsport.com photo gallery for this past year's Rolex 24: http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...M&E=Daytona_24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Well the cars are divided into two classes. The faster class is known as Daytona Prototypes. The chassis uses a carbon fiber monocoque and a steel roll cage so you could call it a hybrid of an open-wheel car and a stock car.
    they are fast take them to La Sarthe and even the Astons and Corvettes will beat them.

GrandAm has butt ugly cars and try and get big-name drivers to try and get ratings, hense you see Nascar and IRL drivers take part. Lemans is so, so, so much better, watching the still cameras on the mulsanne is a breathtaking beautiful sound
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didn't call them "fast", I called them "faster". Like a turtle is "faster" than a snail. Speed is relative.