Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson
    Hayden obviously suffered as a result of the size of the factory Hondas being reduced to suit Dani Pedrosa.

I opened a thread in late May in respect of MotoGp combined rider/bike weights to discuss this basic issue more from the weight perspective. As far as height is concerned, even Valentino Rossi can tuck in behind his screen.

At that stage there were 7 MGP riders weighing less than 60kg with Dani Pedrosa being the smallest/lightest at 160cm & 51 kg. By comparison, Stoner's height is 171cm and weight 58kg.

Check out rider's details on the MotoGP site.
    metric means nothing to me...having seen Stoner in the flesh he is a runt, and rossi looks like a bean pole, sort of like ron wood of the stones....whereas poor Nicky has got a bit of mass on him...clear from observing the boys up close and personal,
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Quote from Markabilly..........
    "metric means nothing to me...having seen Stoner in the flesh he is a runt, and rossi looks like a bean pole, sort of like ron wood of the stones....whereas poor Nicky has got a bit of mass on him...clear from observing the boys up close and personal,"

What you really mean is that you don't know how to convert metric to imperial.
    I'll help you out...........Pedrosa Ht= 5'3" Wt= 112.4lbs
    Stoner Ht= 5'7" Wt= 127.9lbs
    In relation to your other critical comments regarding the appearances of Stoner and Rossi......The runt and bean-pole are pretty bloody good riders......aren't they?

Pity we can't all look like we are straight out of "The Bold and the Beautiful".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've just been watching the 2006 season review, and one thing that's clear to me is just how hard Hayden rode that year. Capirex was the standout for sure (and could/should have taken Ducatis first MotoGP title) but Hayden was on it all year, and IMO was a worthy winner (to finish first, first you must finish).

The 2007 bike was off the pace for the first half of the season, Hayden came back a bit in the second half and at PI he was on Stoner's tail and looking very comfortable until his bike expired; but by then he was far out of title contention and probably focused on the 2008 bike.

I'd say he's a victim of internal politics more than anything else.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to the Indianapolis GP website, Nicky ( & Colin Edwards) are 152 pounds. Rossi is 148, not much less. However, Stoner is 128 and Dani is a jockey-sized 112! If the 800 Honda has really been designed around Dani, Nicky is 40 pounds overweight!

The 800s are smaller bikes, with smaller engines, that give the little guys & the smoother guys more of an advantage. I don't think it is any surprise at all who has dominated since the change. (I think it was a bad change, for what it is worth. I liked knowing that the 990s had so much power that they were detuned to increase ridability!)

If you watch Nicky closely, he still rides a lot like a dirt tracker. He backs the bike in, slides corners a lot, and gets on the power hard. The harder he is pushing, the more his bike bucks around. He almost never rides with that glassy smoothness that Rossi & some others can. He and his riding style just isn't as well suited to the 800s. In fact he has complained more than once that the 800s power just doesn't come on fast enough, and that was partly why he wanted to switch to the pnuematic engine so bad.

I think it is great that Nicky got a championship. He stepped up at the perfect time, on the big bikes, and took advantage of other's stumbles, and pushed for all he was worth. (And somehow didn't let Dani ruin it for him, despite Dani's best efforts!) If in fact Nicky does end up at Ducati next year, it might do him good, as Ducati has very good muscle.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Richardson
    Quote from Markabilly..........
    "metric means nothing to me...having seen Stoner in the flesh he is a runt, and rossi looks like a bean pole, sort of like ron wood of the stones....whereas poor Nicky has got a bit of mass on him...clear from observing the boys up close and personal,"

What you really mean is that you don't know how to convert metric to imperial.
    I'll help you out...........Pedrosa Ht= 5'3" Wt= 112.4lbs
    Stoner Ht= 5'7" Wt= 127.9lbs
    In relation to your other critical comments regarding the appearances of Stoner and Rossi......The runt and bean-pole are pretty bloody good riders......aren't they?

Pity we can't all look like we are straight out of "The Bold and the Beautiful".

Thanks, I needed that.......conversion to american,

and in motogp, I think those guys that struggle to barely make the field, the ones that no one can remember their names, the ones that certain posters love to pick at and bash, those guys who qualify last, are all "pretty bloody good riders as well"

I can not think of one who is not......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    According to the Indianapolis GP website, Nicky ( & Colin Edwards) are 152 pounds. Rossi is 148, not much less. However, Stoner is 128 and Dani is a jockey-sized 112! If the 800 Honda has really been designed around Dani, Nicky is 40 pounds overweight!

The 800s are smaller bikes, with smaller engines, that give the little guys & the smoother guys more of an advantage. I don't think it is any surprise at all who has dominated since the change. (I think it was a bad change, for what it is worth. I liked knowing that the 990s had so much power that they were detuned to increase ridability!)

If you watch Nicky closely, he still rides a lot like a dirt tracker. He backs the bike in, slides corners a lot, and gets on the power hard. The harder he is pushing, the more his bike bucks around. He almost never rides with that glassy smoothness that Rossi & some others can. He and his riding style just isn't as well suited to the 800s. In fact he has complained more than once that the 800s power just doesn't come on fast enough, and that was partly why he wanted to switch to the pnuematic engine so bad.

I think it is great that Nicky got a championship. He stepped up at the perfect time, on the big bikes, and took advantage of other's stumbles, and pushed for all he was worth. (And somehow didn't let Dani ruin it for him, despite Dani's best efforts!) If in fact Nicky does end up at Ducati next year, it might do him good, as Ducati has very good muscle.

Good honest post!

Nicki was/is better suited to the higher horsepower and was luck/capitalised when many around him failed.

We can never take that world title away from Nicki and we should never use his size to say that is why he is no longer fighting for the championship victory.

Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt

Why I still love the WSBK. Two races in a day!!

back before Motogp, at Seca, you could walk the pits, get up close and near as they used cargo containers for pits. It was great. The bridge was still low on the hill at the corkscrew, the racing was double the fun......then we get motogp, please stay away from the pits whenever it looks close to action time or we will stomp you with our police boots, all the mechancial work done in the deep dark shelter of pit boxes out of the public sight and so forth.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I actually think Nicky wold do very well on the Ducati. He clearly likes bikes with big power, which the Duc clearly is and after watching Stoner powersliding on the weekend, the Duc appears to be better suited to those of a dirt track background. Also, it looks phyically bigger with better protection for the larger Hayden to tuck out of the wind than the Honda. At the end of the day, he can't be worse than Melandri and no-one else around sticks out as being the man for the job I think. The boy can peddle a motorcycle, just don't expect him to be a consistent race winner to contend for the title.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Duke seems to have more power in it.....but then i'd rather have Hayden not in the duke
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese: