Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    All very interesting, but still I don't understand what changed between the '60s/'70s and now! Could it be that young American drivers don't want to come to Europe to race as much now as the likes of Hill and Andretti did, because of the huge riches on offer 'at home'? Could the lack of crossover between the European and US 'scenes' today be a factor, when in the '60s and '70s there was a great deal more with British teams and drivers going over to Indy, the huge profile of the big sportscar races in the US and Europe, the rise of Can-Am with its major European participation, etc? Maybe this is at the root of what you describe as the 'separate world of racing' that exists today in the US?
    A lot did change. D - Type is right in that the series in North America changed. It also was seen that CART was a legitimate place for an aspiring race driver. The late Greg Moore always looked towards CART and Indy and NOT f1 merely because he didn't see it as inferior to f1. Paul Tracy was much the same.

The problem is that to go to Europe from North America or from Europe to the IRL in the US is involving a culture shock. European drivers who fail to make it in F1 or GP2 come over because the OW racing community in Europe will still look highly upon a guy coming over to the IRL/CART/CCWS and beating up the locals (Sebatien Bourdais) whereas an American going to Europe might as well enter the witness protection program.

America really doesn't care for f1 that much. Americans like passing. They like racing and they like something they can identify. F1 doesn't give them much of those three factors. Put NASCAR and its overwhelming power in the market place and f1 is off the radar.

I think too you are also underestimating the fun factor. Show me an F1 driver who doesn't look like he is having an enema done on Sunday mornings and I will show you one who will be looking for a ride in the next year. The pressure cooker of f1 and the brutality of the cars to drive, coupled with the lack of side by side racing makes f1 a rather techinical if boring series to participate in. American drivers see THAT and see the joking and comradery of NASCAR or even the Indy car paddock and they realize they can enjoy racing without the pressure cooker of f1.

In short, American drivers decided about two minutes after Mario hung it up from f1 that they didn't really have to prove anything by going over. A few did here and there but never really enjoyed the process and often were in crap rides. Seeing how Scott Speed was blamed for his team's failings doesn't make anyone want to change that either.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Sullivan had a full-time seat at Tyrrell in 1983. That is a "regular" drive.

He lost it at the end of the season mainly because Benetton took their sponsorship to Alfa Romeo for the 84 season & Alfa already had an American driver who fulfilled Benetton's request to have an US name for marketing purposes, Eddie Cheever. Oh, that and not scoring any points.

Tyrrell took two novices for 84 due to having no sponsorship at all.
    Not scoring points? Like his teammate. Like most Tyrell drivers did in the 80's. Danny may not have been an f1 driving champion but I suspect his skills were greater than he was allowed to show in that Tyrell and if pressed I suspect Ken would have admitted that if he was still alive.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    A lot did change. D - Type is right in that the series in North America changed. It also was seen that CART was a legitimate place for an aspiring race driver. The late Greg Moore always looked towards CART and Indy and NOT f1 merely because he didn't see it as inferior to f1. Paul Tracy was much the same.

The problem is that to go to Europe from North America or from Europe to the IRL in the US is involving a culture shock. European drivers who fail to make it in F1 or GP2 come over because the OW racing community in Europe will still look highly upon a guy coming over to the IRL/CART/CCWS and beating up the locals (Sebatien Bourdais) whereas an American going to Europe might as well enter the witness protection program.

America really doesn't care for f1 that much. Americans like passing. They like racing and they like something they can identify. F1 doesn't give them much of those three factors. Put NASCAR and its overwhelming power in the market place and f1 is off the radar.

I think too you are also underestimating the fun factor. Show me an F1 driver who doesn't look like he is having an enema done on Sunday mornings and I will show you one who will be looking for a ride in the next year. The pressure cooker of f1 and the brutality of the cars to drive, coupled with the lack of side by side racing makes f1 a rather techinical if boring series to participate in. American drivers see THAT and see the joking and comradery of NASCAR or even the Indy car paddock and they realize they can enjoy racing without the pressure cooker of f1.

In short, American drivers decided about two minutes after Mario hung it up from f1 that they didn't really have to prove anything by going over. A few did here and there but never really enjoyed the process and often were in crap rides. Seeing how Scott Speed was blamed for his team's failings doesn't make anyone want to change that either.
    Given all of this, should we be surprised that US drivers don't get much of a chance — or don't want to compete in — F1, and that there is no interest in US series in Europe despite numerous efforts to change this? I don't think so. Therefore, I don't feel that either the lack of North Americans in F1 nor the almost complete European antipathy towards US series should be a particular source of concern to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Not scoring points? Like his teammate.
    Mark, his team-mate did score points in one race that year.....Detroit GP......Actually, he didn't just score points. He won it.

However, I do agree that Sullivan was a lot better driver than the results show. He wasn't far off Alboreto's pace, never having seen any of the tracks before and his drive in the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch (the last ever non-Championship F1 race) was an indication of his talent (he pushed Rosberg all the way to the flag).

It was a shame that he never had the chance to further his F1 career, as there was definite promise there.