Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    They just don't know what Indy means..........
    Your right I don't know what it means.But I do know open wheel racing is about dead because one guy thought more of that race than the series.Thanks a lot, guy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    It's amazing to me how people fail to see that the health of open wheel racing in America is forever tied to the health of the Indy 500. To the casual race fan, open wheel racing IS the Indy 500, not Long Beach, not Texas, not Milwaukee.

The Indy 500 is, was, and always will be the catalyst for open wheel racing in North America and that's a good thing.

I have always said... if CART/CCWS had the Indy 500 I would have been a CART/CCWS fan. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.
    Thats fine if the 500 is all you care about.I love the series more than I love the 500.I can live without the 500 but not a good racing series.And what we have now is a bunch of races nobody cares about.Use the month of May to pub the series not just the 500.

If the Nascar stars decided to run Indy.It would see a big spike in the tv ratings and Indy would be huge but It would do nothing for the series.When Danica led a few laps.Everybody was talking about Indy.It got a big tv rating boast but the rest of the races rating stunk like always.

Tony got what he wanted and I guess you all are happy.Indy means everything again.He also got a series that needs major repair.Thats what I care about.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Basically it sounds like you'd like to diminish how important Indy is compared to the other races by shortening the month of May & to completely change the formula to be more road course/street centric.

Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CARTDM15
    Thats fine if the 500 is all you care about.I love the series more than I love the 500.I can live without the 500 but not a good racing series.And what we have now is a bunch of races nobody cares about.Use the month of May to pub the series not just the 500.

If the Nascar stars decided to run Indy.It would see a big spike in the tv ratings and Indy would be huge but It would do nothing for the series.When Danica led a few laps.Everybody was talking about Indy.It got a big tv rating boast but the rest of the races rating stunk like always.

Tony got what he wanted and I guess you all are happy.Indy means everything again.He also got a series that needs major repair.Thats what I care about.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your right I don't know what it means.But I do know open wheel racing is about dead....
    That needs a GREAT BIG "IMO" behind it. And more power to you if that mistaken opinion is what you believe.

But, frankly, a crowd of about 300,000 and many millions of people watching on TV this weekend will prove you to be wrong.

Again.

And about 100,000 folks at TMS will also prove you wrong in about two weeks.

Again.

I'm afraid with the end of the split, so also is the end of the days where "if I say it enough times, people will accept it as true."
    Keep your eyes open for the rest of January, you may be in for a surprise - Speeds Up...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    I am/was as dedicated a CART/CCWS supporter as is possible but I agree with Nigel on this.
    Count me in on this as well. Nigel hit the nail on the head.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Name one Open Wheel Race that capture the amount of attention that Indianapolis got. Go back to 1911. I have and there was NOT ONE.

For years CART accepted the name INDY CARS, notice these cars were not called LONG BEACH CARS or PORTLAND CARS. They were named for what? A non-important race in May.

Does it need repair, yes but a 20 year cancer is tough to overcome and this series started to get sick over 20 years ago but that would be news to some.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your right I don't know what it means.But I do know open wheel racing is about dead because one guy thought more of that race than the series.Thanks a lot, guy.

Then you don't understand the business model that drives open wheel racing in the US. Sponsors foot the bills, period. And Madison Ave. in New York controls that aspect. Those folks on Madison Ave. when asked about open wheel racing have a myopic view that centers on 16th and Georgetown. Without that race on your schedule Madison ave has damn near zero interest. With a fractured fan base they also had very little interest. Now that the split is behind us, (well at least for SOME of us) there is renewed interest from Madison Ave. There are already ideas being floated about the beer companies getting back in the game!

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    Name one Open Wheel Race that capture the amount of attention that Indianapolis got. Go back to 1911. I have and there was NOT ONE.

For years CART accepted the name INDY CARS, notice these cars were not called LONG BEACH CARS or PORTLAND CARS. They were named for what? A non-important race in May.

Does it need repair, yes but a 20 year cancer is tough to overcome and this series started to get sick over 20 years ago but that would be news to some.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)
    Absoloutely correct! The only open wheel race that even comes close would be Monaco if, and only if ,you widen the scope to include the attention of the entire world. If you limit this statement to US attention alone, then nothing even begins to hold a candle not even Monaco.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Absoloutely correct! The only open wheel race that even comes close would be Monaco if, and only if ,you widen the scope to include the attention of the entire world. If you limit this statement to US attention alone, then nothing even begins to hold a candle not even Monaco.

Gary
    Right on brother! If you go to Australia during the Surfer's event you will see so much coverage and fan involvement it makes the Indy of today look weak but once you step outside of Oz, nobody heard a thing. Same went for the first year CCWS went to Mexico City. Huge crowd and media coverage. The town was electric. Back in the USA, nothing.

Go to Europe, Oz or Mexico next Monday and you will find coverage about Indy. I believe that it the point being made.

Have a beer and enjoy the race. TGIF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    24 Hours of LeMans
    and
    Grand Prix of Monaco
    Italian Grand Prix
    British Grand Prix
    French Grand Prix
    German Grand Prix
    ......ect.
    Shall I continue?

Agreed but to hitch all of your horses to a wagon that has been on downward spiral just for the sake of Tradition is silly!