Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rob Collard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I would merely go along with the view expressed by Tim Harvey commentating on the Knockhill races in 2006: 'Collard's not someone you go side-by-side with, is he?'
    And that's exactly why Collard's often seen as a poor, even dishonest, driver in some people's eyes! If we didn't have Matt Neal, Tim Harvey and assorted others blaming poor Rob for every case of hiccups out there, we wouldn't even notice his real mistakes as anything but average.

Others commenting is why all of humankind thinks Katie Price is more stupid than any other glamour girl, Brad Pitt's prettier than all other men and Rob Collard's a dangerous person to drive near.

He makes mistakes, he sometimes drives a tad unfairly - but who doesn't?
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Who care's if he's nice bloke? You don't get bonus points for personality! It's performances on the track that count.
    It counts a lot, because his driving standards are the same, if not better, than the "untouchable" Matt Neal - but at least Collard can smile and doesn't go round blaming everybody else.
    Niente č vero, tutto č permesso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But that wont get him results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Who care's if he's nice bloke? You don't get bonus points for personality! It's performances on the track that count.
    I care. And I am sure lots of people who place any value and importance on how much people think a lot of them do. Do you want people being all aloof to you? I don't. I tend to like people who want to like me more than people who are aloof with me.

Who would you rather meet? A front-running championship contender who never smiles or shakes hands with fans or a driver of the calibre of Rob who always has time for fans and likes smiling to them and shaking hands with them.

I haven't had the confidence to speak to a few drivers, mainly because I don't know what to say, that is why I get nervous as I approach the pitlane when open to the public, but the fondest memory I have is when I got Rob's autograph in 2005. I didn't have a poster or those cards so I gave him an MG X-Power cap and he happily signed it.

He may be struggling in terms of position even in the Independents trophy standings but he would win the trophy if their was one for being amenable and approachable.
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Personality only matters when you're 10 years old and desperate for an autograph.

Now in my 20s I really couldn't give a toss. Plenty of cocky and arrogant drivers who are still good drivers. I get a thrill seeing then performing on the race track, not standing next to them and having a picture taken with them.

The drivers main job is to drive a race car on the limit. You can see why some drivers end up in a strop - that last thing they want to do is being hassled with PR/media.

That's just a personal opinion. I'm sure there are many others who would really disagree with me!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Wedge, sure it's nice for them to be great with the public, but it is there job to win.
    Drivers’01,’02,’03,’04,’07,’08
    Manufacturers’01,’02,’03,’04,’05,’07,’08 Teams’01,’02,’03,’04,’08.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personality only matters when you're 10 years old and desperate for an autograph.

That's just a personal opinion. I'm sure there are many others who would really disagree with me!

I am one of the disagree-ers :

Far as I'm concerned, if a driver (or any sportsman for that matter) doesn't appear to be nice, I cannot make myself care for them at all. I can see Matt Neal's a good driver for example, but I can't cheer him on even now he's in a VX car. Same thing happened when Jenson Button went to one of my favourite teams - I didn't wish his Honda as well as the other.

Maybe it's a female thing, but I think most women are the same as me.
    We only like bad boys when they're charming and not really bad
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can I just do a straw poll of who thinks a good personality helps with a stronger support?
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SEATFreak
    Can I just do a straw poll of who thinks a good personality helps with a stronger support?
    A good personality helps, of course. If someone is nice to you, you tend to wish them well. It's just human nature.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Should any of you be fortunate enough to spend some time in Rob's company you will understand he is not only a nice bloke but a nice bloke who is absolutely passionate about motor racing. The majority of his racing has been self funded, he wasn't born with a silver spoon, & he thus works bloody hard to get where he is.

Let's not forget in his circuit 'career' he's won in Vectras (TOCA support), won the BTCC Indie title in a season which for Rob came very close to ending at Thruxton (some will criticise the competition he had but you can only compete against those who are there when the lights go out - & none of them were bad...), not to mention his outright BTCC wins.

I'm sure you've all driven a fwd & rwd tourer, know & understand the differences/complexities between them inside out, & can set consitantly quicker lap times? Some of you? Any of you? No...? Didn't think so...

Criticise away folks. But only once you've been there, done it (or at least tried to do it), & bought the t-shirt. The efforts required by everyone to get on that grid are phenomenal - fair play & hats off to them all for being there & providing us with the great spectacle, which I think most if not all of us aspire to be a part of, that is the BTCC.

Good luck to all at Croft & fingers X'd Erkut can drive his Astra likes it's stolen when the lights go out