Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Very sad news. I saw coverage of the crash on TV yesterday and clearly it was a tragedy whoever was involved. To find out it was such well-known and well-liked figures from motorsport only serves to amplify that, although our thoughts should be with the friends and families of all those affected.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is how I best remember him. Racing with Team PSP with Phil Bennet.

I am hardly in a strong position to talk about memories of David as mine doesn't begin till 2002 and only ends a mere year later in 2003 with Team PSP.

But though his autograph is one of the first two I recieved in 2002 and he raced at Croft too for Proton; coming 2nd and 7th respectively in 2002 and 9th and 19th respectively in 2003, he is probably most significant to me as a Croft-goer when he was competing for Nissan; though I never saw him compete for them.
    He was involved in the very first BTCC meeting there in 1997 where he came third in race 2, beating Renault's Jason Plato and coming behind 2nd place James Thompson and winner Alain Menu...so I have to ask....just how good was David? How strong a competitor for Nissan was he?
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Really cant belive this, why is it always the good guys

RIP David.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    rip all in the crash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SEATFreak
    How strong a competitor for Nissan was he?
    For 1999, there was little to seperate David and Laurent Aiello.

Given that some regard Laurent Aiello as the best touring car driver that there has ever been - that took some work. Although the Primera romped home in the manufacturers title that year, the drivers championship was a much tighter affair and he pushed Aiello very hard indeed.

Let us not forget that David had the ability to drive touring cars and endurance cars at the highest level. His CV is enviable.

On a personal note, I met him briefly at the Proton / Petronas launch. I must admit that prior to that day I had him down as a bit of an old timer and a has-been, but the enthusiasm that he had for that project changed my opinion of the man. That enthusiasm ran right until his untimely passing - as I understand the purpose of the flight was to attend a test for the Apex Jaguar XK GT3 car that he has been involved in the development of since its conception.

I'll certainly miss his contribution as a TV commentator. Who can they find that has the levels of genius and encyclopaedic knowledge to put Martin Haven right when he makes mistakes?!

A tragic day for those directly affected and a sad day for us in the wide world of the motorsport family.

I presume we will be able to pay our respects collectively in some way to David Leslie and Richard Lloyd at Rockingham.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    R.I.P David, Richard, and all on board. A sad and tragic event for the world of Motorsport.
    Team Air Ambulance - Rookie Champions 2007. Support your local air ambulance charity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SEATFreak
    This is how I best remember him. Racing with Team PSP with Phil Bennet.
    That's how I remember him as well. He always had a massive big grin on his face whenever you asked for an autograph or a photo.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was sad to hear David Leslie named as one of the people on board. He was one of the faces of BTCC when I first started getting into the sport as a child.
    Everyone Loves a Slinky. :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    R.I.P David Leslie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dreadful news.