Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Also v8 supercars are not rally cars, the yump on the Adelaide circuit is sub-standard circuit design. imo

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi
    I wonder if part of the inquiry should look at whether 'safer barrier' is required on some of the faster corners on the street circuits in use in the Australasian area.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_Barrier
    They should look into it definitely.

However, as pointed out by Winterbottom and Courtney, Dev.Series don't have the safety features that the V8's do. I presume this means no HANS-devise or something similar, in which case the investment will far outweigh the costs.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Yes, hopefully they'll stick Safer barriers there. That is such an awesome part of the race track (I love the in-car cams) but unfortunately the writing was on the wall that someone would get seriously hurt.

RIP Ashley Cooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercury8

Wow - you'll believe a V8 can fly! Would this car be penalised for having all four wheels off the track, and not using an airport..?
    Thompp - Checkout my UK motorsport images http://www.peterthompsonphotography.co.uk/

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    There is a push now to go back to the full length GP parklands circuit. It was shortened to be cheaper to construct & to cause less disruption to city traffic. It was also not figured that the crowds would equal the size of the the Adelaide F1GP days initially.

However from a safety point of view, it also allowed a greater run off area coming onto the back straight than the current shorter circuit allows. From the very first year of racing, turn 8 has always had a question mark over it's safety and has been redesigned several times.

A move back to the full length GP circuit will enhance safety, allow for greater crowds (which are now bigger than the F1 days) & also provide for better racing down the back straight.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I'd hate to see Turn 8 go. A SAFER barrier would do - It'd take off quite a bit of the critical lateral force acting on the drivers neck.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    RIP Ashley Cooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJP
    RIP Ashley Cooper
    Amen R.I.P. Ashley
    Silence is Golden!......JP in a TD...CHAMPION!!!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewireshock
    There is a push now to go back to the full length GP parklands circuit. It was shortened to be cheaper to construct & to cause less disruption to city traffic. It was also not figured that the crowds would equal the size of the the Adelaide F1GP days initially.

However from a safety point of view, it also allowed a greater run off area coming onto the back straight than the current shorter circuit allows. From the very first year of racing, turn 8 has always had a question mark over it's safety and has been redesigned several times.

A move back to the full length GP circuit will enhance safety, allow for greater crowds (which are now bigger than the F1 days) & also provide for better racing down the back straight.
    I was just wondering whether there were similar incidents to Mika Hakkinen horrible crash at a similar corner in the ATCC days??

In this day and age the kerbs would be almost dead flat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mark Skaife rolled a works Nissan GTR there in 1990 at Brewery Bend. Gary Scott also had a hairy moment in a Mitsubishi Starion at the same corner in 1987.

Livewireshock - there's no doubt the Clipsal 500 is popular, but the crowds don't top the Grand Prix nor really come close. In 1995 the raceday figure alone was 205,000 people in attendance.