Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Or , they did have more of a handle on the end of the race , and didn't want to show their hand .
    They didn't consult them , perhaps , because they knew already that Lewis wanted the fastest lap , and thus , the order to pit .

It's just speculation on my part , but it seems to fit pretty well .
    With all the whines from everyone about tires , he shouldn't have been able to do that time on a set that was 30 laps old .
    I suppose, this is another perspective. Hamilton's fastest lap on 30 laps old tyres suggests that Mercedes had more speed in the car than they showed. But all teams drive well within the speed of the engine to protect the life of the engine. Hamilton was probably more willing to take some life out of the engine at this race than would be advised by his engineers. I don't think there is anything extraordinary on the speed front. But there is something uncanny about being able to do a fastest lap on a 30 laps old tyres. I bet all the teams suffering with the Pirelli tyres would be very interested in this.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th July 2019 at 11:05.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (20th July 2019)
    Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Oh ffs.
    Should I have included a "hee hee" in that particular post ?

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Watch form 3:45. Rosberg talks MB engineer, Andrew Shovlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrASv07Qqw

edit: This video was edited. You'll see there was a cut of from 4:26? There was a bit where Shovlin said they turned up the engine for him for that last lap. It's not included here.
    So , does that prove there is sand in the bags , or not ?

edit: This video was edited. You'll see there was a cut of from 4:26? There was a bit where Shovlin said they turned up the engine for him for that last lap. It's not included here.
    This is not evidence, we only have your word which is not proof. I watched Rosbergs podcast on youtube after the race and l don't remember him saying that. Besides, the team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    IBut there is something uncanny about being able to do a fastest lap on a 30 laps old tyres. I bet all the teams suffering with the Pirelli tyres would be very interested in this.
    It's taken me a few days to be able to watch this race. So I'm late to the game. But that major feat is what blew me away. How he do dat?!

If every third or fourth race was as exciting as this British GP, I think most (real) fans would suffer through the snoozers and would stop complaining about "the state of Formula One".

Wow, what a race!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

7. Likes: airshifter (21st July 2019),Duncan (22nd July 2019)

I just watched the post race interview of the drivers. One of the questions asked by the journalists was about tyre strategy. Hamilton was asked if Mercedes planned to split their tyre strategy before the race, and Hamilton and Bottas answered that the original plan was for a two stop strategy using Medium Medium Hard tyres. This was considered the fastest strategy from the many simulations. Hamilton hinted that he took it upon himself to go for a one stop strategy to counter Bottas who had the first choice on stops etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4wbftiWrY

I think the team did not have much to do with how the race turned out in the end. But it was solid strategic thinking from Hamilton that made all the difference in how the race was won by him.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st July 2019 at 15:45.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    This is not evidence, we only have your word which is not proof.
    I acknowledge this, and it's a little frustrating. Unfortunately, I can't call Rosberg to a witness box and question him.

Fwiw, paraphrasing the conversation.

Rosberg: And you turned the engine up?
    Shovlin: Ah, yeah, we turned it up a little bit.

I watched Rosbergs podcast on youtube after the race and l don't remember him saying that. Besides, the team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres.
    Unfortunately, the lack of benefit of doubt works both ways. Just because you said you watched Rosberg's YT podcast and don't remember him saying that, doesn't mean that you did or would acknowledge it if you had heard it.

The team did not expect Hamilton to go for the Fastest lap on those tyres? But Shovlin said in the video that Hamilton proved he could of set the fastest lap at Paul Ricard if they let him do it, so they let him go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    It's taken me a few days to be able to watch this race.
    Damn right. Everyone, including those at Silverstone, should've been watching the cricket.

So I'm late to the game. But that major feat is what blew me away. How he do dat?!
    :
    With all due respect, Jag. Nigel Mansell set the FL of the 92 BGP on the second last lap. He did it having led all the way and leading by half a lap, And irrc he didn't pit. I'm not sure it's the big deal it's made out to be?

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I just watched the post race interview of the drivers. One of the questions asked by the journalists was about tyre strategy. Hamilton was asked if Mercedes planned to split their tyre strategy before the race, and Hamilton and Bottas answered that the original plan was for a two stop strategy using Medium Medium Hard tyres. This was considered the fastest strategy from the many simulations. Hamilton hinted that he took it upon himself to go for a one stop strategy to counter Bottas who had the first choice on stops etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4wbftiWrY

I think the team did not have much to do with how the race turned out in the end. But it was solid strategy thinking from Hamilton that made all the difference in how the race was won by him
    I totally acknowledge this and he should get the win because of it.

However if the intent of the team is to allow the drivers decide the title on the track, he's gone against the grain. It could be the case that defying calls to pit may backfire later on if Bottas and his engineer is onto it. There may be further stipulations of conduct during the following races.

It could be the case now that qualifying 2nd in the MB will become advantageous?

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Damn right. Everyone, including those at Silverstone, should've been watching the cricket.
    I don't mind grasshoppers too much, but crickets sorta creep me out.

Actually, I was traveling on the day of the race. You'll seldom find me watching any stick & ball games.

With all due respect, Jag. Nigel Mansell set the FL of the 92 BGP on the second last lap. He did it having led all the way and leading by half a lap, And irrc he didn't pit. I'm not sure it's the big deal it's made out to be?
    Well, if we have to go back 27 years for a comparison...

Plus, the ongoing situation (mystery, if you will) with these Pirelli tires does make this something of a biggish deal.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

12. Likes: journeyman racer (22nd July 2019)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts

Well, if we have to go back 27 years for a comparison...

Plus, the ongoing situation (mystery, if you will) with these Pirelli tires does make this something of a biggish deal.
    I think it was a blazing lap, but I also think it goes hand in hand with the below....

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    So , does that prove there is sand in the bags , or not ?
    With the current tires, the drivers are often driving to the tire dictated delta times that fit the strategy. Since Lewis really didn't have to push the tires very hard once up front, the fast lap allowed him to just take out all the life that was left in them. A number of fast laps have been set this year towards race end on tires with laps on them, so it doesn't always take newer tires.

A great lap no matter how you look at it though!