Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales Rally GB

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Some interesting points in Neuville interview.
    - he realistically says that he could only get 3rd without the off
    - sees Tänak as favourite in Spain (for me it's Loeb and Ogier)
    - claims that Hyundai has a lot of development going on (well they certainly need it)

Liked 9,342 Times in 4,961 Posts
    UK's Channel 5 showed the freeview highlights of Wales Rally GB last night... at midnight.

After showing the live stages for the first time on Sat & Sun they then ruined that positive with a big negative.

I dont understand it as they show every other WRC round highlights at 7pm.

Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    I had a fantastic day spectating on Myherin. Watched the International class run in the morning, walked a couple of miles down the stage to watch the National cars run, then headed back up the (endless!) hill to see the International cars second pass.

The 2018 WRCars are just astonishing to watch. Absolutely precision from all the top drivers and incredible speed. Really enjoyed seeing the WRC2 cars as well, I might be on my own, but the R5 class has massively increased my interest in WRC2 (and a lot of National Championships).

Felt so bad for Tanak when I heard the news of his retirement, very impressive surge from Latvala later on, real shame he couldn't hold off Ogier. Championship standings have closed slightly, though it's a real shame that Ott couldn't take the win and level things out even more.
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

4. Likes: EstWRC (9th October 2018),pantealex (10th October 2018)
    Liked 9,342 Times in 4,961 Posts
    Watching the OB's, I notice Loubet's car was still where he stopped on the first run of the Great Orme (SS21). I didnt see this at the time.

Shouldnt the car have been removed for the 2nd run (SS23) ? There was certainly plenty of time with the long delay...
    #M-SPORTER

6. Likes: Mirek (9th October 2018),steve.mandzij (9th October 2018)
    Liked 570 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Neuvilles off from different angle
    https://youtu.be/_57kpTIGM5M
    Is it the same place, where Markko Märtin did his famous slide?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXnMt0yUFI

Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    I had to skip Sunday but managed to get three days' spectating in. Shakedown and service park on Thursday, then Brenig on Friday - got there nice and early and walked across the dam to watch the first WRC run by the lake (with Dave Richards and three helicopters' worth of VIPs who landed behind us). Once the stage had reopened I went along to the tarmac hairpin for the National crews before climbing back to the official speccie point by the road for the second WRC run and a (relatively) quick exit before the queue into Cerrig got too bad. That speccie point was a good one - the commitment of the top cars coming up the hill was fantastic, Lappi in particular was really twitchy and sideways over the fast left over crest.

On Saturday I parked in Sweet Lamb and walked into Hafren past the old mines - was so early that the farm gates across the stage were still closed as no marshals or safety crews had been through! Watched on a long open hairpin right, only me on that corner (and a group of lads 200 yards up the hill). Walked back to the double hairpin for the Nationals, then climbed up to the top of Sweet Lamb for the WRC and got to see Tanak's Yaris expire as it came up the hill towards me - gutted for him. Took an hour and 20" to queue my way out of Sweet Lamb, it's always a bit crap getting away but it seemed worse than usual this year.

Pace of the WRCs was sensational - some of the angles they come into view at.... just ridiculous, but memories that will last a lifetime - we're witnessing something very special here, we won't see the like again once hybrids and bloody electric power units start to be phased in....

I enjoy the R5s too - you've only to watch some of the vids linked from this thread to see how sideways and spectacular they can be - yeah ok, the noise is a bit feeble compared to a WRC or a screaming S2000, but they're still proper bits of kit.

9. Likes: GravelBen (9th October 2018),Mirek (9th October 2018),pantealex (10th October 2018),WRC1 (9th October 2018)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eib1 View Post
    Is it the same place, where Markko Märtin did his famous slide?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXnMt0yUFI
    Looks like a similar spot but 2004 was when the rally was based in south Wales.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

11. Likes: eib1 (10th October 2018)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Not rethoric question: did Neuville ever say thank you to those 7-8 guys that put him back in the road allowing him to keep his championship hopes alive?

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Yes, mediazone Saturday evening.

14. Likes: AL14 (9th October 2018)
    Liked 133 Times in 64 Posts
    i think his co-driver also said thanks to those that helped to get them back on the road via social media