Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I completely agree with Luke. I never understand why they implemented this stupid rule and I was always against it...
    Marketing and brand creation reasons,
    Why do you think Block had permanent 43, or Pastrana 199? And many others from Nascar or Supercross

2. Likes: AnttiL (10th January 2023),cali (10th January 2023)
    Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    Marketing and brand creation reasons,
    Why do you think Block had permanent 43, or Pastrana 199? And many others from Nascar or Supercross
    I understand that it was marketing purpose. But rallying is different world than circuits. Also community is different. Block was using 43 everywhere, not only in rallysport. It was part of his marketing. Same like for example Valentino Rossi. But I dont think anyone else in WRC has marketing based on the starting number. In rallysport always the best drivers were with small numbers, on the top of entry list. It is quite strange if you look at the entry list and it is not starting with 1-2-3-4-5, but with 69-8-11-33. It is not logical for fans of rallysport and not logical for "normal" people. If they go to watch the stages and they see car 33, they would like to look into entry list and find, who is it (driver, codriver, car). As the numbers are not in numerical order, they need to look through and try to find it. And one thing which was logical for all - fans and also casual - number 1 was always reserved for current champion. Now it looks like there is no champion from previous year. Or it looks like he is not proud of being champion...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    All numbering systems have their flaws.

Traditionally the door number was the same as the running order, but the order is changed on overnight rest halts anyway, and in today's WRC the starting order is based on the current points score.
    In 1995 the team numbers were introduced, but then a team possibly had an extra car, so the team cars were for example 1, 2, and 11. Also there was no separation between the team numbers and the rest numbered normally. Like now you have always WRC2 starting at 20 etc.

I personally don't care that much.

5. Likes: becher (10th January 2023),cali (10th January 2023)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    But I dont think anyone else in WRC has marketing based on the starting number.
    It's still a quite new thing so strong brands haven't been built yet. But Kalle has some KR69 merch at least.

If they go to watch the stages and they see car 33, they would like to look into entry list and find, who is it (driver, codriver, car). As the numbers are not in numerical order, they need to look through and try to find it. .
    Like I said, the running order gets shuffled anyway on long rallies. Or then the entry list is printed (or listed in ewrc-results) according to the actual starting order at the start of the rally so it's easy to follow the list regardless of the actual numbers

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Like I said, the running order gets shuffled anyway on long rallies. Or then the entry list is printed (or listed in ewrc-results) according to the actual starting order at the start of the rally so it's easy to follow the list regardless of the actual numbers
    Yes, starting order is shuffled. But if you are at the stage and car 33 is going around you, no matter what is the starting order, if you look into the entry list, it is easier to find who is starting with number 33 if he is listed between 32 and 34 instead of between 11 and 18...

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    It is not logical for fans of rallysport and not logical for "normal" people. If they go to watch the stages and they see car 33, they would like to look into entry list and find, who is it (driver, codriver, car). As the numbers are not in numerical order, they need to look through and try to find it.
    We're only talking about Rally1 of WRC, you seriously think normal people are still thumbing through the program to see who came past?

9. Likes: AnttiL (10th January 2023)
    Liked 5,566 Times in 2,299 Posts
    I think the same of Pluto and Luke.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    WRC has bigger issues than door numbers and I personally prefer that new personalised system but don't really care if it is changed because it doesn't add or ruin my experience in any case.

12. Likes: AnttiL (10th January 2023),becher (10th January 2023),Corcaíoch (10th January 2023),Essaj (10th January 2023),EstWRC (10th January 2023),kure91 (10th January 2023),lancia037 (11th January 2023),seb_sh (10th January 2023),vino_93 (10th January 2023),WRCStan (10th January 2023)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Yes, starting order is shuffled. But if you are at the stage and car 33 is going around you, no matter what is the starting order, if you look into the entry list, it is easier to find who is starting with number 33 if he is listed between 32 and 34 instead of between 11 and 18...
    soon people will google "rally car 69" more than checking entry list, especially passers-by, bystanders at ceremonial start in town, sss and tv.

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    soon people will google "rally car 69" more than checking entry list, especially passers-by, bystanders at ceremonial start in town, sss and tv.
    If you will google "rally car 69" or the most known brand "rally car 43", what will you find?