Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Bottas’s lap time should have been well out of reach of a guy on 30 lap old slower compound tires. Whether he could have responded or not is irrelevant. They both had one hot lap, one guy on brand spanking new tires, on the other on 30 lap old tires and the guy with the old tires came out on top.
    That Hamilton lap [1:27:369] was 3.3 seconds faster than the old race lap record from 2017 which was 1:30:612. Awesome
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    That Hamilton lap [1:27:369] was 3.3 seconds faster than the old race lap record from 2017 which was 1:30:612. Awesome
    It was an amazing lap, the onboard of it is on sky website, but it’s a shame they cut to the camera facing the drivers helmet half way through.

To be honest, I feel sorry for any fan that can’t appreciate what he did on that lap yesterday.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    It was an amazing lap, the onboard of it is on sky website, but it’s a shame they cut to the camera facing the drivers helmet half way through.

To be honest, I feel sorry for any fan that can’t appreciate what he did on that lap yesterday.
    It was a brilliant lap and it’s clear Lewis is more than comfortable around Silverstone. I do think Bottas has more going on than we realise though as he’s not that far off the pace on new tyres.

What shocked me was how F1 has evolved so much in 10 years. Hamilton is right when he says the cars now are much easier to drive than they used to be. Looking at a comparison of the current Merc compared to a Brawn GP Mercedes it’s clear the Brawn was much harder to drive. Lots of movement on the steering wheel with plenty of correction and a manual brake adjustment on the side of the cockpit. The cars now look like the drivers are playing on a PS3. It would be nice to get a bit more of driver involvement back and a less automated car IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I'm assuming that Lewis had some sort of "white powder party mode" for that last lap, but it was still totally nuts to be able to set fastest lap on 30-lap-old hard tires on a circuit like Silverstone, which although it might have some long straights, isn't exactly known primarily as a power circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I'm assuming that Lewis had some sort of "white powder party mode" for that last lap, but it was still totally nuts to be able to set fastest lap on 30-lap-old hard tires on a circuit like Silverstone, which although it might have some long straights, isn't exactly known primarily as a power circuit.
    True, that was because all the gains came from the corners, the Mercedes was like it was on rails flying through those corners. It was awesome to watch l tell ya!
    William Shakespeare

Mercedes are starting their dodgy games again. I was very shocked when they asked Hamilton to pit with four laps to go. They did not enquire if tyres were ok or if he would like to pit for new tyres. They just said BOB BOX BOX, thankfully Hamilton did not heed the call to pit. If he had, it would have put him in close proximity to Bottas or possibly behind Bottas if anything had gone wrong during the pitstop.

They are back to their 2016 dodgy ways. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the Mercedes meeting room during the after race briefing to hear the discussions about this.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2019),Warriwa (16th July 2019)
    Mercedes are starting their dodgy games again. I was very shocked when they asked Hamilton to pit with four laps to go. They did not enquire if tyres were ok or if he would like to pit for new tyres. They just said BOB BOX BOX, thankfully Hamilton did not heed the call to pit. If he had, it would have put him in close proximity to Bottas or possibly behind Bottas if anything had gone wrong during the pitstop.

They are back to their 2016 dodgy ways. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the Mercedes meeting room during the after race briefing to hear the discussions about this.
    Don’t forget that inside every team they have competitive sides of the garage trying to compete against the other. They also have management looking to best secure a result that puts either driver in good stead for the world championship. In regards to Mercedes we have decisions being made to get Hamilton in a good position to beat Bottas and vice versa hence why Bottas pulled off an impressive pole in Sunday. Teams can make calls on tyres due to telemetry feedback from the tyre sensors too so driver input on how they feel isn’t always needed if a pit stop is achievable to get a favourable result.

Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Don’t forget that inside every team they have competitive sides of the garage trying to compete against the other. They also have management looking to best secure a result that puts either driver in good stead for the world championship. In regards to Mercedes we have decisions being made to get Hamilton in a good position to beat Bottas and vice versa hence why Bottas pulled off an impressive pole in Sunday. Teams can make calls on tyres due to telemetry feedback from the tyre sensors too so driver input on how they feel isn’t always needed if a pit stop is achievable to get a favourable result.

For a tyre that ended up doing the fastest lap of the race and smashing the track race lap record, l don't see how any of what you say has any bearing on why they asked Hamilton to pit. They gave no reason and they did not ask the driver of the state of the tyres. He was simply called in out of the blue with only four laps to go. There is no way in hell anyone, including Bottas was going to catch Hamilton before the end of the race from over 20 seconds. I don't buy it.

That was either the daftest pit call in F1 history or attempt to manipulate the end of the race. We are talking Mercedes here, they don't make these kinds of daft mistakes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th July 2019 at 10:41.
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    For a tyre that ended up doing the fastest lap of the race and smashing the track race lap record, l don't see how any of what you say has any bearing on why they asked Hamilton to pit. They gave no reason and they did not ask the driver of the state of the tyres. He was simply called in out of the blue with only four laps to go. There is no way in hell anyone, including Bottas was going to catch Hamilton before the end of the race from over 20 seconds. I don't buy it.

That was either the daftest pit call in F1 history or attempt to manipulate the end of the race. We are talking Mercedes here, they don't make these kinds of daft mistakes.
    The reason they did it was to protect against another potential safety car situation where they are all bunched up and Hamilton would then be really exposed on 30 lap old tires. I get why they wanted to do it but in this scenario it was just adding unnecessary risk and it was the wrong call to make. It’s good to see Hamilton took the decision out of the teams hands. 3 years ago he would have pitted.

2019 British GP - Silverstone

I guess if they had time to pit him that close to the end of the race it was based on not gambling on the potential for a tyre failure or a safety car maybe.