Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

Ricciardo to Renault

Being reported in Australia now...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-0...nault/10072236

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Yeah, no wins for Danny for a while. He’s obviously towing the “Only a works team can win a championship” line and, in the next few years, Renault are the most likely team to break the top three teams domination of the sport. It might end up being a good move for him in the end, especially come 2021.

Unfortunately, I think he may live to regret it in the short term as I can see the Honda engine coming good before Renault do as a team. All RBR are lacking is straight line speed. They have everything else in their team and their chassis is second to none.

I would have stayed on for another two years with RBR if I were him and then thought about a Renault switch if Honda didn’t come good.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 3rd August 2018 at 14:31.

3. Likes: truefan72 (3rd August 2018),zako85 (3rd August 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Wonder if RBR will decide to partner Verstappen with Gasly or Sainz now? Sainz matched Max during their rookie season (although had a lot more reliability issues), but Gasly is very highly rated. It's difficult for us to know who'd be the better driver considering that Hartley doesn't seem to be much of a benchmark.

Edit: Joe Saward expects Sainz to move to McLaren: https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00289. Fun how he doesn't even mention Gasly at all.

5. Likes: truefan72 (3rd August 2018)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    What a surprise move. Just look at the current points delta between RBR and Renault. Hope this doesn't become another Alonso or Villeneuve move.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    He knows that Renault will do anything they can to beat Red Bull , given the grief they've suffered from them over the years .
    And , the now very orange-tinted team will be taking on Honda works status , dumping the Renault power plant , so they will be extra-motivated .

If he felt it already wasn't a fair fight , he'll be feeling it now and for the rest of the season .
    He'll be number two for the rest of the year .

Unless , of course , something can be done to get the poor bastard out of there during the break .

8. Likes: Warriwa (6th August 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Wonder if RBR will decide to partner Verstappen with Gasly or Sainz now? Sainz matched Max during their rookie season (although had a lot more reliability issues), but Gasly is very highly rated. It's difficult for us to know who'd be the better driver considering that Hartley doesn't seem to be much of a benchmark.

Edit: Joe Saward expects Sainz to move to McLaren: https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00289. Fun how he doesn't even mention Gasly at all.
    I've read that Sainz and Max didn't get along well , and that Dr. Helmut wasn't too pleased when Sainz left Torro Rosso for Renault , so it's unlikely he'll end up there .

10. Likes: N4D13 (3rd August 2018)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    He knows that Renault will do anything they can to beat Red Bull , given the grief they've suffered from them over the years .

Oh no! What a horrible grief Renault should feel against the Red Bull team that won four WDC and constructor titles and over 50 GPs within a decade with Renault engines. Now Renault sure has to be on a mission to destroy specifically them.

Give me a break.
    Last edited by zako85; 3rd August 2018 at 16:14.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Ricciardo with Renault is a good fit at this stage of his career I think.

He'll end up with Ferrari eventually - but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I've read that Sainz and Max didn't get along well , and that Dr. Helmut wasn't too pleased when Sainz left Torro Rosso for Renault , so it's unlikely he'll end up there .
    Its rare for a driver placement to be a somewhat surprise so its good when it happens.

Gasley seems most likely for RBR but Alonso could be the dark horse. Alonso is still driving as well as ever.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    Gasley seems most likely for RBR but Alonso could be the dark horse. Alonso is still driving as well as ever.
    I think we'd all love to see Alonso on a competitive car, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon. And I don't see a reason why RBR in particular would go for the biggest prima donna in F1 when they've got a crop of very fast drivers who'll most likely remain in F1 for quite a few years, where Alonso only has one or two years left in the sport at most.

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Oh no! What a horrible grief Renault should feel against the Red Bull team that won four WDC and constructor titles and over 50 GPs within a decade with Renault engines. Now Renault sure has to be on a mission to destroy specifically them.

Give me a break.
    Give ME a break .

You don't think it will be especially nice for the Renault guys to come home ahead of Red Bull ?

Past titles mean nothing to a company when publicly humiliated , especially when the failure is obvious to all .
    They will remember the salt that was rubbed into their wounds .

You can decide , yourself , if you agree that they should feel aggrieved , but don't make the mistake of believing they won't get a good grin out of coming home ahead of the Bulls .

That was my point , in case you didn't see it .