Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2019 British GP - Silverstone

We go into Silverstone after the quick summer break. The run of back to back wins of the Petronas Mercedes team was finally brought to an end by a brilliant drive from Verstapenn to claim a controversial win at the Redbull ring in Austria. Redbull's first win of the season and Honda's first F1 win in more than a decade.

The Austrian GP reveals an inherent weakness in the bulletproof W10 Mercedes. Its tightly wrapped engine section is susceptible to high temperatures. When ambient temperatures get high, it is hard to keep the Mercedes engines cool. A characteristic that their competitors exploited to snatch a win in a season that has become a Mercedes stranglehold. This would suggest that the W10 would be vulnerable in other similar high temperature tracks of which there are a few in the second half of the season.

However, the temperatures at Silverstone is likely to be very much to Mercede's liking. While there are a number of straights that would favor the Ferrari, there are equally a number of slow corners that would favor the Mercedes. Silverstone is likely to be a showdown between the Ferrari and the Mercedes. It is likely to be very tight in qualifying and in the race. This is one not to miss.

Sebastien Vettel was the last winner of this race and Lewis Hamilton holds the race lap record at 1:30.621 since 2017. I have a feeling that this record shall be broken this weekend.

And the very fine British grid girls :-)
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th July 2019 at 16:44.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    British grid girls :-)
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1,067 Times in 598 Posts
    Eh.

Lots of action in FP1, which I missed of course. Watching FP2 now and I still feel that Chandhok and DiResta are useless.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

4. Likes: Tazio (13th July 2019)
    Well, the silly season has started in earnest. Apparently, Vettel may be heading back to Redbull and Hulkenburg may replace Vettel at Ferrari. Ocon shall replace Hulkenburg at Renault. I think pigs would fly on this one.

Everyone seem to be talking about who would replace Gasly. I think Redbull would be making a mistake to get rid of Gasly. After all, they moved him up too early, he barely completed a full season before he was called to the senior team. He has hadly completed his first season in the senior team and there is talk of replacing him. That is hardball man!
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th July 2019 at 00:25.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: Tazio (13th July 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Well, the silly season has started in earnest. Apparently, Vettel may be heading back to Redbull and Hulkenburg may replace Vettel at Ferrari. Ocon shall replace Hulkenburg. I think pigs would fly on this one.

Everyone seem to be talking about who would replace Gasly. I think Redbull would be making a mistake to get rid of Gasly. After all, they moved him up too early, he barely completed a full season before he was call to the senior team. He has hadly completed his first season in the senior team and there is talk of replacing him. That is hardball man!
    Clearly you don’t remember Kvyat who performed a lot better than Gasly has done. I fully comprehend, based on current form, why RBR would replace Gasly now. Three years later and I still don’t understand why they replaced Kvyat.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Clearly you don’t remember Kvyat who performed a lot better than Gasly has done. I fully comprehend, based on current form, why RBR would replace Gasly now. Three years later and I still don’t understand why they replaced Kvyat.
    The fact they replaced Kvyat a few years ago may be the biggest reason they have Gasly still there now .
    But , it also looks like the new front wing , which Gasly didn't have last race , has stabilized the rear of the car and given him some needed confidence .

9. Likes: Tazio (13th July 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The Kyvat saga is a strange one. It was not because he was underperforming. He crashed alot into other cars but was keeping Ricciado honest most of the time. Rather than work with him to sort out why he was crashing so much, they demoted him, then fired him and then rehired him. If Gasly got replaced before the season is over, he would set a new record of the shortest F1 career on record of a driver that has driven for two different teams. I am sure there hasn't been another in the history of the sport.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The fact they replaced Kvyat a few years ago may be the biggest reason they have Gasly still there now .
    But , it also looks like the new front wing , which Gasly didn't have last race , has stabilized the rear of the car and given him some needed confidence .
    Gasly topped the FP1 timesheet but l suspect on low fuel and supersoft tyres. His real task this weekend is to qualify within 0.3 seconds of Verstapenn and improve his race form.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th July 2019 at 11:31.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Ferrari seems to be destroying their front tires. I was watching "The Boss" and Charles's on-boards during the long runs and Charles's front looked really bad compared to Lewis's. We don't know fuel loads of course but one would think they would at least be somewhat close!

May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Ferrari seems to be destroying their front tires. I was watching "The Boss" and Charles's on-boards during the long runs and Charles's front looked really bad compared to Lewis's. We don't know fuel loads of course but one would think they would at least be somewhat close!

Ferrari have bad wear and graining in their front left tyre. It is killing their speed through the corners.
    William Shakespeare