Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

2016 season reminiscing

Due to TBK destroying the Bottas thread. I've decided to start a couple of other threads that focus on the topics that pollute the Bottas through TBK's insecurities.

2016 was a highly contentious season with numerous controversial points of interests.

What do you remember about the 2016 season?

I remember the Belgian GP particularly. It was because Hamilton completely exploited the engine allocation rules by bringing in 2 extra turbos and MGH-Us. Then breaking the seal on the gearbox so a new gearbox could be used for the next race.

As the championship leader at this point (Leading Rosberg by 19), this was obviously an act of favouritism by MB. By introducing these new parts, Hamilton was effectively equipped with a fresh car for the remaining 1/3 of the season. While Rosberg was still using what he was allocated from the start of the year.

To emphasise how advantageous these new part were. In the 12 races prior to Belgium, Hamilton led Rosberg in the PP stats, 6-5. This is a sign of equality as Rosberg also qualified ahead of Hamilton in the one race MB didn't get pole, thanks to a stunning performance by Daniel Ricciardo (Another one for Ricciardo, a performance yet to be equalled by Verstappen).

But then after Belgium (When it had been equal), the PP stats blew out in favour of Hamilton 6-2! A huge advantage in the context of the championship. He gets to start ahead of Rosberg, and what would also be typically the favoured side, with a rejuvenated car. In a season like 16, track position early in the race counted for a lot in who ended up winning.

In hindsight, the story of 2016 tells us that this "legalised cheating" of Hamilton backfired. On his way to an easy, unremarkable win in Malaysia, with Rosberg dealing with the adversity of being punted off in the first corner, Hamilton's engine (with its fresher components) blew up. Much to the dismay of his fans whose self esteem is dictated why the results he gets.

In light of all the favouritism Hamilton had, Rosberg was a worthy 2016 champion.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    The pissing contest between the two of you is getting a bit tiresome. You are as bad as TBK. Can't you just put up a post sans the personal insults?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

3. Likes: airshifter (20th June 2019),N4D13 (20th June 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The pissing contest between the two of you is getting a bit tiresome. You are as bad as TBK. Can't you just put up a post sans the personal insults?
    I’d like you to point the last time I threw a personal insult at him. You’ll be a while looking.

Here’s a summary of reliability the issues of Rosberg vs Hamilton in 2016.

Rosberg had brake issues in Monaco 2016 and finished 7th. He would have won Monaco 2016, most likely, yes without it but Hamilton also had the same brake issues, he simply managed it better. Therefore both had the same opportunity in the race.

Rosberg also had some gearbox issues towards the end of the race in Silverstone that year but it did not cost him a position or points.

I am unaware and can’t think of any other times Rosberg had point costing reliability issues in 2016 except Monaco (which cannot be counted as Hamilton had the same) but feel free to update if I missed something.

Hamilton on the other hand:

Chinese GP - started at the back of the grid due to power unit problems in qualifying. Eventually he finished 7th. I think it’s pretty safe to say he would have probably won this race or at least finished second as he generally had the upper-hand over Rosberg at that track.

Russian GP - Another power unit failure for Hamilton saw him qualify in 10th effectively ruining any chance of a win. He finished second.

European GP - had power deployment*issue during the race and eventually finished a distant fifth.

Belgian GP - Because of all his previous engine failures, Hamilton had to start from 21st position as he received a 60-place grid penalty after Mercedes opted to replace several elements on his power unit in practice, then remove a seal from his gearbox. A brilliant drive saw him finish 3rd in this race but still many points lost to Rosberg in another race he could have very likely won.

Malaysian GP - engine blew up on lap 41 whilst leading. Rosberg finished third, would have been 4th. 25 points lost to Hamilton and 12 points to Rosberg, so instead of a 13 point gain on Rosberg he had a 15 point loss, that’s a 28 point swing.

Now, regarding this nonsense in the OP about Hamilton cheating in Belgium. Everything that weekend was done with the rules and the FIA allowed it, so labelling it cheating is nothing other than rabid desperation.

Referring back to the Belgium GP and what Journeyman refers to as favouritism, was simply opportunistic on Mercedes party to ensure their guy had enough power unit parts until the seasons end allowing for one other power unit reserved in case it blew up (lucky they did considering Malaysia). Both Rosberg and Hamilton had the same power unit then until then end of the season.

Uh-oh, this all puts the whole reliability didn’t decide the 2016 title nonsense in perspective when one guys has 6 of his races affected by reliability and the other guy has just one snd only 5 points separate them at the seasons end.

And all Hamilton needed at the end of that season was Rosberg to finish 4th or one of those results to be overturned to overcome these issues and become 2016 WDC.

If someone can honestly rebuttal with valid incidents which I am unaware of that affected Rosberg’s season, please do so, otherwise, if you can’t and you still believe reliability didn’t decide the 2016 title then you’re just in denial.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 20th June 2019 at 06:05.

5. Likes: airshifter (21st June 2019),Tazio (20th June 2019)
    While I can see your point of view. I don't want to talk about Hamilton's blown engine in Malaysia in the Bottas thread. I also don't want to repeat myself to counter views made about 2016 in other threads.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I've seen more rational discussions between the extreme left and right of US politics.

The reason those types of arguments are irritating is because the listener typically misses the point and doesn't contribute to make it easier.

His remark comes after I've already addressed Starter's post.

I have noted TBK has written a post detailing Hamilton's mechanical issues throughout the season. He's written too much for me to respond immediately. But respond I will!

But for the moment, a random memory I have of 2016. How badly shafted was Ricciardo in Spain?

Even Bernie Madoff was outraged!

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I’d like you to point the last time I threw a personal insult at him. You’ll be a while looking.
    In hindsight, you do seem to have disengaged the troll for some time now. It's appreciated. When ANY of us engage the trolling, it just spams up the threads.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    The reason those types of arguments are irritating is because the listener typically misses the point and doesn't contribute to make it easier.
    That usually happens when you get 2 posters with 2 polar opposite views, one a lewis superfan and the other a lewis detester, trying to win an argument on the net about how great/crap Lewis is.

Neither of you will succeed in altering the others view and so the petty point scoring will continue on indefinately. To the rest of us its all pretty much just spam as it offers nothing new or of any real value. I wish you guys would just take it to pm if you really have to continue this.

11. Likes: N4D13 (23rd June 2019)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    While I do think that journeyman could ease up on the snide jibes , I , for one , appreciate a good debate .

Both these guys make good points , and I wish I had the memory it would take to take part more often .

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    That usually happens when you get 2 posters with 2 polar opposite views, one a lewis superfan and the other a lewis detester, trying to win an argument on the net about how great/crap Lewis is.

Neither of you will succeed in altering the others view and so the petty point scoring will continue on indefinately. To the rest of us its all pretty much just spam as it offers nothing new or of any real value. I wish you guys would just take it to pm if you really have to continue this.
    If you're referring to me, I'm actually indifferent to Hamilton. I can take or leave him.

But when you counter points made by such a Hamilton "superfan", who embellishes everything he does, it's understandable to see me as a detester.