Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    We'll find out this year, he's doing a nearly full WRC2 campaign with a WRC round in Portugal.

In addition, Brits like Rob Duggan, Jon Armstrong, Osian Pryce and Chris Ingram are all very quick, but there's very little backing around to support them stepping up. That said, it's fair to argue that none of them have shown the same promise that Evans did previously.
    But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents. I also dont believe so much in Gus, he has some talent and huge backing behind him, he is able to make some nice stage times, but he has problem to finish rallies without problems, he is not strong for fight for title (ok, if they will fight only with Pieniazek, he has a chance)

2. Likes: AnttiL (12th January 2019),Jarek Z (14th November 2020)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents. I also dont believe so much in Gus, he has some talent and huge backing behind him, he is able to make some nice stage times, but he has problem to finish rallies without problems, he is not strong for fight for title (ok, if they will fight only with Pieniazek, he has a chance)
    To be fair though, Greensmith might surprise like Suninen did. The Finn wasn't the most stellar R5 driver but he's shown good speed at times in WRC.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    To be fair though, Greensmith might surprise like Suninen did. The Finn wasn't the most stellar R5 driver but he's shown good speed at times in WRC.
    At least Suninen won a number of WRC2 rallies before stepping up to the main level.

5. Likes: pantealex (12th January 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    Greensmith is a hard one to judge - he started in an R1 Fiesta doing BRC and did not look quick at all, but he was neat and tidy and obviously learns quickly, because each time he steps up to a new championship or a faster car, he looks competitive.

I’m not for a minute suggesting he’s as good as Richard Burns, but the way he goes about progressing feels similar - unspectacular but quietly impressive. Will watch his progress with interest this year.

7. Likes: leighton323 (12th January 2019),Rally Power (13th January 2019),steve.mandzij (12th January 2019)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Ehhh what??? Suninen has won in WRC2 4 times and was often quicker than Lappi...

9. Likes: AnttiL (12th January 2019),janvanvurpa (13th January 2019),leighton323 (12th January 2019),pantealex (12th January 2019)
    Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Ehhh what??? Suninen has won in WRC2 4 times and was often quicker than Lappi...
    Of course, he was quick, but he didn't spark the same "future champion" idea in me as maybe Lappi did.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter View Post
    Greensmith is a hard one to judge - he started in an R1 Fiesta doing BRC and did not look quick at all, but he was neat and tidy and obviously learns quickly, because each time he steps up to a new championship or a faster car, he looks competitive.

I’m not for a minute suggesting he’s as good as Richard Burns, but the way he goes about progressing feels similar - unspectacular but quietly impressive. Will watch his progress with interest this year.
    He is also just 22. So he has a lot of years infront of him. WRC2 Pro with M-Sport could be his ticket to the top.

Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    We'll find out this year, he's doing a nearly full WRC2 campaign with a WRC round in Portugal.

In addition, Brits like Rob Duggan, Jon Armstrong, Osian Pryce and Chris Ingram are all very quick, but there's very little backing around to support them stepping up. That said, it's fair to argue that none of them have shown the same promise that Evans did previously.

since when was rob duggan a brit?

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wia5958 View Post
    since when was rob duggan a brit?
    Sorry, completely my bad - for some reason thought he was from Northern Ireland. Edited.

Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    But Evans never shown some special promises, all named drivers are bigge talents.
    I think that's harsh, Evans was very strong in an R2 and has always been the top Ford when in an R5. I sort of hoped he'd be in the new R5 later this year, but will be interesting to see how he copes with being expected team leader in WRC instead. Last chance saloon at the top level.

I agree with you on Greensmith, but he's really young. Another year or two in an R5 would probably be best for him and fingers crossed he can step up in WRC2 again this year. I doubt the WRC round will be the best investment though. Would love to see him try an ERC round or something outside the WRC calendar, but he seems very focused.
    Last edited by dodge33cymru; 13th January 2019 at 10:49.
    aka Rodger Davies

14. Likes: Rally Power (13th January 2019)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    He is also just 22. So he has a lot of years infront of him. WRC2 Pro with M-Sport could be his ticket to the top.
    I don't know who Greensmith is, where he comes from, who supports him, etc. All I know about him is his stages times and his position in WRC2 standings. Judging by those two factors he has much bigger potential than all those drivers who spend years in WRC2 like Veiby, Loubet, Tempestini or Brynildsen. Good luck to him!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!