Page 91 of 97 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
    Liked 191 Times in 91 Posts
    I did thursday SD,
    Friday: oittila1, ässämäki 1, moksi 2, äänekoski2
    Saturday: Päijälä1, Pihlajakoski2 and Leustu2
    Sunday: laukaa 1 and 2

Totally by car ~700km +200km to/from home and 22km walking and 6km bicycle.
    Sääli on sairautta! ;)

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    The distance achieved by Neuville & Ogier reminded me of when ski-jumpers 'out-jump the hill'.

And the fact they went further than the distance markers shows the organisers didnt expect that and therefore hadnt fully considered what could happen.

That long flat runway allowed the cars to achieve a higher speed than they do on a normal jump within a stage.

Ogier's extreme nose-up landing isnt normally seen on WRC jumps. The aero is usually quite balaced. But at extreme speed who knew what it might cause...

As Ryan Champion said:
    I suspect the aero is designed to work when the car is on the ground... rather than 2 metres in the air at 200 km/h !

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    like Tommeke said: "Hard to find the words to describe how amazing this event was"

same here, another awesome year at Rally Finland. Really satisfied with my homework done before the rally this year, the places on the stages were good and all the things were running smoothly. Only complain: it was so DAMN cold the last two nights. Especially Saturday night at Päijälä, i was shaking like a leaf in the tent the whole night until morning.

We started with the shakedown on Thursday, at this place https://youtu.be/ibFUATF4kb0?t=88. I have to tell the place is 100X times awesome in real life, the speed was insane. We drove it through the night before with like 50km/h but i guess these guys have something like 160km/h at there?
    Suninen was most spectacular there, very sideways and throwing the most amount of rocks at us.

Friday we were on Moksi and Urria. On Moksi we were at a very fast flat-out left hander, Ogier had a veeeeery sideways moment there, my heart stopped for a second. The others came through nicely.

On Urria we were at the fast corner before the big jump, it can be seen here from last years vid https://youtu.be/vLb2zPDY0hA?t=36. But before this fast corner theres also a crest and this is where Lappi had that moment. The crest lifted the cars and they came flat out there, Lappi was soooo sideways over that crest and flew basically into the ditch with the rear, until this day i cant understand how he came away from it.

On Saturday we were at Päijälä and Pihlajakoski. On Päijälä at 5km rollercoaster road and on Pihlajakoski at very end of the stage, fast left and right.
    Ogier hit a three/ditch very hard coming too fast into the left hand corner and Tänak took the right hand corner completely with different line compared to others. Lappi was very wild there and he also won that stage.

aaanddd on Sunday of course the big jump at the end of Ruuhimäki and i guess i dont have to tell you about it.

At least the stages and places we were, Tänak was by faaaaaar the most smoothest and cleanest, like just having a Sunday cruise, even on Friday on first passes. The others were correcting the car all the time, the most wild ones were Lappi and Suninen, especially Suninen on every place we were.

i dont know if i will go next year, the problem is that everything costs so much. I mean, the rally pass this year was 80 euros, 80 EUROS? And then we have to pay 15-20 euros for parking every night, and then some parkin places dont even have a toilet or thrash bags for this money.

I was at Rally Spain two years ago and there was no rally pass and parking fees. And if you put all the Rally Finland costs together, it isnt a massive difference between it and Rally Spain.

But in the end im sure ill go anyway, lol.

and you can see from this pic we were at Rally Finland, a huge jump

Last edited by EstWRC; 5th August 2019 at 18:32.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: dimviii (5th August 2019),Ha3aP (6th August 2019),Mirek (5th August 2019),pantealex (6th August 2019),Rallyper (6th August 2019),the sniper (5th August 2019),tommeke_B (5th August 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post

That long flat runway allowed the cars to achieve a higher speed than they do on a normal jump within a stage.
    Ruuhimäki itself also contains fast jumps. The real Yellow house jump also has a long acceleration.

Ogier's extreme nose-up landing isnt normally seen on WRC jumps. The aero is usually quite balaced. But at extreme speed who knew what it might cause...
    Novikov in Finland 2009. Or Neuville in Päijälä. It happens.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The distance achieved by Neuville & Ogier reminded me of when ski-jumpers 'out-jump the hill'.

And the fact they went further than the distance markers shows the organisers didnt expect that and therefore hadnt fully considered what could happen.

As Ryan Champion said:
    I suspect the aero is designed to work when the car is on the ground... rather than 2 metres in the air at 200 km/h !
    Eddie, don't you think that you make often too much drama of things?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: cali (5th August 2019),er88 (6th August 2019),EstWRC (5th August 2019),pantealex (6th August 2019),the sniper (5th August 2019),tommeke_B (5th August 2019)
    Liked 96 Times in 41 Posts
    Is there a video of Greensmith's crash?

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    The problem I have with the Ruuhimäki ending is the extremely artificial feel of the area after the jump. It just looks like a big flat empty (parking) lot.

Finland has great natural stages including the "roller coaster" on the wide road just before the last part of Ruuhimäki and then to "top it up" they go for a "cheap" flick in a seemingly empty artificial area.

At least some grass/banks/trees would help a lot on how that last sections feels, even if people know it's artificial.

Liked 191 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Portimao View Post
    Is there a video of Greensmith's crash?
    https://youtu.be/mjD2XsbTleg
    Sääli on sairautta! ;)

11. Likes: Portimao (5th August 2019)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Οgiers jump from another angle
    https://youtu.be/-xNLXkDeKp0?t=167