Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Canada 2116

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    To me it seems like a pretty normal racing occurrence. If you're trying to hang it round the outside on the exit of a corner, and you haven't got the move done, you shouldn't be surprised if the other guy takes the normal racing line and shows you to the stripe.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    To me it seems like a pretty normal racing occurrence. If you're trying to hang it round the outside on the exit of a corner, and you haven't got the move done, you shouldn't be surprised if the other guy takes the normal racing line and shows you to the stripe.
    Perhaps the question would be , then , "when is the move done ?" , Andy .

I get what you're saying .
    But , he was even with him , so doesn't he deserve equal space at that point ?
    It can't be that Lewis didn't know he was there .

It's maybe more like he disregarded that he was there , assuming the corner was his , because he was on the inside .

3. Likes: Mia 01 (15th June 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Perhaps the question would be , then , "when is the move done ?" , Andy .

I get what you're saying .
    But , he was even with him , so doesn't he deserve equal space at that point ?
    It can't be that Lewis didn't know he was there .

It's maybe more like he disregarded that he was there , assuming the corner was his , because he was on the inside .
    I think Lewis disregarded that Nico was there because he knew he was in the stronger position. If the guy on the inside maintains his racing line, the guy on the outside has 3 alternatives: back off and drop behind, run off the track, or hold his line and as a result probably collide and get pushed off the track. You're always going to be in a weak position trying to make a move around the outside like that. Sure, try it, and if it comes off you're a hero, but you can't really complain if it doesn't.

I'd say the move is done when it's no longer possible for the guy on the inside to show you to the stripe.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I think Lewis disregarded that Nico was there because he knew he was in the stronger position. If the guy on the inside maintains his racing line, the guy on the outside has 3 alternatives: back off and drop behind, run off the track, or hold his line and as a result probably collide and get pushed off the track. You're always going to be in a weak position trying to make a move around the outside like that. Sure, try it, and if it comes off you're a hero, but you can't really complain if it doesn't.

I'd say the move is done when it's no longer possible for the guy on the inside to show you to the stripe.
    That is one handy random 'rule' you made up there

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

The problem is , though , that the "stronger position" was only in his head by the time Nico was fully along side , which was pretty early in the scenario .
    You're right that he might have been seen as heroic , had he pulled it off , but I think it would have been more a case of them both being lauded for close , tight racing , had they both come out of the corner together and on track .

As Toto mentioned , they've talked about this behavior a lot , and this incident will receive the same treatment .
    And , I think it's a more necessary step than ever , when Nico seems to be saying he won't lose the position in the same way again .

Think , perhaps of the inside "dive-bomb" pass attempt , where a guy slides through and punts the other .
    He's trying to brake later , overspeed , inside .
    In that kind of scenario , the counter is to get him to outbrake himself on the inside , ducking behind as he goes by .
    To counter when you know he is over your speed , by just driving into the space is not heroic at all , but stupid , and race ending in most cases .

But when you can get all the way along side him , at roughly the same speed , you should be able to be assume that both of you know the speed of an identical car must be less on the inside if the car on the outside of the turn is going at it's maximum speed for the conditions .
    Had Rosberg slid , himself , he would have no beef at all , since he , too , would have been beyond the point of adhesion and not in complete control as well .

But , since the regs state that he need only have a significant portion of his wing along side the car in front , as per the Barcelona ruling , to be able to claim a portion of the track that was a car width , he has a right to feel a little put out .

If it were me making the rules , the point at which I would blame the guy ahead would be when he can see the car beside him . At this point , with the cars designed the way they are , that seems to be more like where the front wing of the guy behind breaks the plane of the driver's visor as he looks straight ahead .

As it is now , though , it's any piece of his front wing beside the wheel merits a claim to space .

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    It ended up being a good move by Lewis despite the loss of traction. He held the racing line and Nico was placed in the situation where he had to decide how to avoid contact.

Hamilton should be applauded for a gutsy move IMO. Well he was I suppose.

8. Likes: Whyzars (16th June 2016)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I have no doubts that Nico absolutely meant to do what he did at Monaco when he went down that escape road. Premeditated.

I still see that as being very different from Hamilton risking hitting Nico with his move and forcing him off the track. This was more a heat of the moment decision.

Why did the FIA not sanction him? Maybe because as team mates it is a team matter? Or more likely they just see it as a racing incident..

Ric made a huge dive under braking on Seb the other week with Seb taking evasive action to avoid the collision, naturally he wasn't happy at the time but later admitted he would have tried it himself if the roles were reversed.

As Senna once said, when you no longer go for the gap you are no longer a racing driver..

10. Likes: truefan72 (15th June 2016)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    The race is over, the points final. No actions taken by the stewards. It is now officially ancient history. Time to move on to the next race. Dead horse doesn't taste good no matter how you barbecue it.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    We're here to flog it, not to taste it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiLIoGQ2V0

Judging from the on board video from NRs car it can only be (IMHO) a defensive maneuver by The Boss, or he simply lost adhesion. Either way it was a bad place to put yourself, if you're Nico at the first corner of a race, but that's racing. The stewards saw no reason than to (and I believe rightly so) judge it as anything more than a racing incident!
    May the forza be with you

14. Likes: henners88 (16th June 2016),The Black Knight (16th June 2016),truefan72 (17th June 2016)