Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I wouldn't want to drive I'd go too slow because it's not mine to crash

I'd be more than happy to go along for a ride. I do realise that driving a RWD car takes skill. It's not childsplay of course. But it still wouldn't change my mind to see how difficult the car would be to drive compared to a comparable FWD car
    Once its finished (hopefully around May) I'll drop you a pm once we have a test date and you can see how it fits in with your plans. Theres usually 6-7 different cars there ranging from Grp N Scoobies, evo's, mk2's, rwd mk3's to Civic Type R's, so you'd get plenty passenger rides in the various cars. We usually get about 10-12 runs depending on offs etc on a 1 mile forrest loop near St Johns town of Dalry. If anyone else fancies it let me know and I'll try and arrange something.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Soliitt. Which would you say is harder to drive in general?
    The 'winningist' drivers have a natural skill that they could apply equally to either setup - with similar ease I would imagine.

If I were setting out to contest a championship today, I would have more confidence in my ability to go fast from the outset in FWD. I would feel safer pushing to the limit in FWD. Very seldom did we ever run wide in a FWD car and when we did overcook it they would usually spin within their own length.
    I think it's a totally different skill to drive a car, on the limit, that you are controlling from the rear - not one that I would claim to have ever really mastered.

I've always been told that if you want to get the most out of a FWD car you need to LFB and that's hardly the sort of thing you can learn easily.
    Pentti is the man to talk to about LFB'ing. I think most 'younger' competitors seem to pick it up OK. Being an older bloke and set in my ways, I struggled with it for a couple of years before giving it away as a lost cause. I do believe not mastering it limited my potential for results in FWD although we have another senior competitor here who is very fast in FWD and claims to have never used LFB'ing.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that you cannot drive a FWD sideways ... or slide it using the throttle. FWD can be a lot of fun!
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt
    Don't let anyone ever tell you that you cannot drive a FWD sideways ... or slide it using the throttle. FWD can be a lot of fun!
    Well I've experienced power on oversteer in my car. Wet roundabout in the morning and brand new Michelin's on the back and just legal random brand tyre on the back so I thought to myself "I wonder if this is a recipe for power on oversteer?". Turned in put the power on and the front went where the wheels were pointing and the power was pushing them and the back just kept on going where it was going Was nice and controllable too!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.