Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it depends on their style.
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I'm guessing that if an exceptional driver drives either ... then the RWD car would be faster.
    In NZ this question comes up from time to time ... with the same level of debate.
    We're fortunate to have had top drivers who have excelled with both setups and who have commented on this.

A 4 times National Champion, who has won in RWD, FWD & 4WD cars all over the world, once commented that " if driven correctly, FWD is faster ".

Another top local competitor who is very rarely beaten in a 2WD anywhere, and has won titles in successive years in a 2000cc FWD Corolla and an RS1800 (2 cars of relatively comparable specification) has been quoted as saying that, " whilst given differing conditions each has it's advantages, he could not determine that either is generally quicker than the other".

From personal experience, I've rallied RWD for 15 years followed by 12 or so in FWD. I certainly went a lot quicker in FWD but that was most likely due to refinements in technology, spending a bit more and having a little more experience.
    I'm about to go back to RWD and I have to say, whilst I'm looking forward to it, the propect has me a little nervous.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt
    In NZ this question comes up from time to time ... with the same level of debate.
    We're fortunate to have had top drivers who have excelled with both setups and who have commented on this.

A 4 times National Champion, who has won in RWD, FWD & 4WD cars all over the world, once commented that " if driven correctly, FWD is faster ".

Another top local competitor who is very rarely beaten in a 2WD anywhere, and has won titles in successive years in a 2000cc FWD Corolla and an RS1800 (2 cars of relatively comparable specification) has been quoted as saying that, " whilst given differing conditions each has it's advantages, he could not determine that either is generally quicker than the other".

From personal experience, I've rallied RWD for 15 years followed by 12 or so in FWD. I certainly went a lot quicker in FWD but that was most likely due to refinements in technology, spending a bit more and having a little more experience.
    I'm about to go back to RWD and I have to say, whilst I'm looking forward to it, the propect has me a little nervous.
    Who needs to talk to competitors or anything? Surely one can just stand at the side of the road and immediately gauge whether FWD or RWD is faster That's a joke of course

Soliitt. Which would you say is harder to drive in general? I've always felt I could go out in a RWD car on gravel and go fairly fast but whenever I've driven a FWD car on gravel it just doesn't seem as easy even though one of the cars I drove for a short while on gravel was actually a rally car with rally tyres and so on and the other car was a much more modern car which handles quite well and has more power. I've always been told that if you want to get the most out of a FWD car you need to LFB and that's hardly the sort of thing you can learn easily.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm totally lost with RWD comparing to FWD. Probably because I've almost always driven an FWD car.

Funny thing happened when me and my mates had the chance to drive on a short gravel circuit two different "rally" cars. The other one was BMW 320 RWD and the other Honda Accord 2.0 FWD. As I tried both of them, I managed to get 1,5 seconds faster time with the Honda, even it wasn't the easiest one to drive. Of course we videotaped it and surely the rounds with BMW were much stylish. But the clock said it's rude language.

But for the safety of driving, especially here in Finland where we from time to time actually have some snow, I'd go for FWD any day.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I´m waiting for a SWDC, Side Way Drive Car.
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    I´m waiting for a SWDC, Side Way Drive Car.
    Perhaps that's what Conrad had during Sweden which was why he went off on the road?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Perhaps that's what Conrad had during Sweden which was why he went off on the road?
    Now that´s just a old citroën!
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I've always felt I could go out in a RWD car on gravel and go fairly fast but whenever I've driven a FWD car on gravel it just doesn't seem as easy even though one of the cars I drove for a short while on gravel was actually a rally car with rally tyres and so on and the other car was a much more modern car which handles quite well and has more power. I've always been told that if you want to get the most out of a FWD car you need to LFB and that's hardly the sort of thing you can learn easily.
    A lot of it will depend on the spec and how well set-up the car is.. did the fwd car you tried have an LSD?
    LFB feels near impossible to contemplate mastering at 1st in a roadcar, but it definately becomes far, far easier though when the brakes are not servo'd like in most rallycars.

If you ever come up to Scotland you are welcome to come along to the next test once the car is finished. Theres a lot of work being done to the new car including more power improved drivability thanks to increased capacity and the addition of throttlebodies, improved weight distribution and PMI. Im not sure if he would actually give you a go at driving it but with a few passenger rides I think you'd apreciate that despite rwd looking relatively easy from a spectators point of view, its a pretty hairy experience going out in a powerful well sorted rwd car on a forrest stage for the 1st time.. who knows, you might just change your mind a little ?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I wouldn't want to drive I'd go too slow because it's not mine to crash

I'd be more than happy to go along for a ride. I do realise that driving a RWD car takes skill. It's not childsplay of course. But it still wouldn't change my mind to see how difficult the car would be to drive compared to a comparable FWD car

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Now that´s just a old citroën!
    Are you Citroenist?