Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pirellis

Liked 16,091 Times in 6,982 Posts
    lot of people here hate pirellis
    in this monte we see very good pace for a new tyre with less rubber than goodrichs

did anyone compare the time in a ss (if it is same with last years monte) with goodrich tyres?

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glee
    There should be a time-out system allowing the drivers to make short stops on stage for changing tires or doing small repairs.
    Why not create a time-out system too, to prevent mechanical failures? Punctures were always part of the game.

The pirelli tyres were strong and gave very good data to the future. For now, everything seems ok.

One sugestion: Pirelli should do a site like BFGoodrich had in last years, real time informations with stage times and informations about each stage.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glee
    There should be a time-out system allowing the drivers to make short stops on stage for changing tires or doing small repairs.

If you had a puncture you and did stop the car, you could push a “time out button” (or something like that) and the clock would stop. You then would have 2 min (or any other specific time) to do what you had to do.

If you then could change your tire within the limit you would not loose anything (or very little time). This would allow drivers to take more risk, and we would se more onstage action.

It would also take out important strategy like going as fast as you can without screwing up.

Rallies have already devolved to pathetic sprints when compared to the glory days of marathons of attrition of the past. Why not have a 20 minute remote service after each stage so drivers could take so many risks they could damage their cars on every stage with little worry of the consequences as long as they finished.

I have read a lot of interesting ideas but this one, have you heard of NASCAR?
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    It will be nice to see if the Pirellis have enough grips for side away landings after jumps on gravel.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Who cares what tyres they're on? As long as they don't noticibly ruin the sport and aren't dangerous I couldn't give a monkeys whether they drive on Pirellis or BFG or banana skins. No one actually noticed a difference from a spectating point of view at the weekend and we hardly saw any punctures. Until we actually see the case where there a lots of punctures I don't think it's worth debating.

As for timeout buttons I can't believe that was actually mentioned. And if it came in to existence what's to stop a driver 'forgetting' to turn it off when the wheel is changed?
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We can surely say that Pirelli finished the Monte exam with a success.
    The cars are really fast ! The C4s were impressive to see live: totally glued on the surface. Incredible how a car developed on Michelins got a perfect setup with new tyres already !

On Sweden it will be a success too (see Gigi in the Xsara last year). But on gravel ... I want to see before saying anything.

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    I couldn't give a monkeys whether they drive on Pirellis or BFG or banana skins.
    I'm sure we'd see some sideways action then...

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Snow/Ice

Has any of the drivers said anything of the feeling of the Pirelli snow and Ice tires ?

Liked 240 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth
    Has any of the drivers said anything of the feeling of the Pirelli snow and Ice tires ?
    Hirvonen had problem when i tested them in Sweden before Christmas but now i think they have done a rubber compound some works.

Flodin tested 600km for Pirelli for a few weeks ago.
    R.I.P Colin Mcrae - The hero for me... Twitter: @MickeLindh

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micke_VOC
    Hirvonen had problem when i tested them in Sweden before Christmas but now i think they have done a rubber compound some works.
    Mikko is saying that tyres work fine as long as there is lot of ice/snow on the road.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uut...2008/02/606984
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.