Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pirellis

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

New Pirellis

After their puncture, Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila were almost certain there will be lots and lots of pucntures with other drivers too. Drivers were cutting the corners ALMOST like with mousse tyres. Tomi Tuominen told they had a deep cut on the side of the tyre but it wasn't flat. But there were none with WRC drivers

They also described that with the new tyres, one have to start braking a lot earlier. There is not the same crip in braking because the side structure is much stronger now.

What will happen when they finally move on the gravel? I'm still predicting many tyre changes on stages.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I expect a lot of punctures too. Only not on Loeb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Probably more punctures but not as bad as the expectations were last year.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Pirelli made the outer shell of the tyres thicker as well so i expect punctures but not that many as most people think...Do you think the teams would allow using a tyre that would compromise their chances ? also there is the safety aspect...i doubt FIA would allow a tyre that would cause that many punctures as people think....

Lets wait before we run into conclusions. Also cutting the corners isn't a main issue in punctures, pot holes and sharp stones in the stage ususallly cause the cuts...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There should be a time-out system allowing the drivers to make short stops on stage for changing tires or doing small repairs.

If you had a puncture you and did stop the car, you could push a “time out button” (or something like that) and the clock would stop. You then would have 2 min (or any other specific time) to do what you had to do.

If you then could change your tire within the limit you would not loose anything (or very little time). This would allow drivers to take more risk, and we would se more onstage action.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Punctures are a part of the game, so I don't see the need of time out options.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donney
    Punctures are a part of the game, so I don't see the need of time out options.
    That would encourage drivers to take more risk (and get more punctures).

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glee
    That would encourage drivers to take more risk (and get more punctures).
    Yes but like Donney above said, punctures are and should be a part of the game. Back in 80's and early 90's when mousse tyres weren't yet part of rallying, drivers had consider different approach to different rallyes. Acropolis for instance was place guaranteed to have punctures. Hurrying slow like Kankkunen said was a smart option

Sorry about the history lecture but I think system like you introduced would some part ruin the essence of rallying.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Timeout options??????

Punctures have always been a part of rallying. I think if we have a timeout option they should put a big version of those things they put in 10 pin bowling lanes for morons like me who can't bowl which bounce the ball back into the middle of the lane (bouncing the car back onto road with my idea). Then you will eliminate crashes and a lot of punctures too
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    was amazed was not the lack of puncutres (as pirelli always seems to make a good pucture proof tyre, at least on gravel rallys in the past) but the ultimate pace of the tyre, which compared very well against the 2007 michelin. I have been thinking since..

when testing.. with the repeatitive nature of it, and the drivers beginning to 'know the road', they begin to find an ultimate base time that is fastest. If you put 2007 michelins on for this, then immediatly compared the 2008 pirelli controlled tyre , they is bound to be a big difference... but

when on the stages proper, after only a 50km/h recce, the loading on the tyre, and therefore its limits, are not explored. Therefor, my theory is.. would it matter which tyre you put on?... as the tyre, on at least the first pass of the stage, is not the limiting factor.
    ------------------------------------
    But you can call me Buzz
    email: buzz@pixar.com