Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JV to LeMans

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

JV to LeMans

It would be quite a feat if he could snag this prize as well.

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve will return to competition with Peugeot at Le Mans this year, sources close to the Canadian have confirmed to autosport.com.

Villeneuve has been out of action since he left Formula One after last year's German Grand Prix, but he has been linked with a return in both NASCAR and the DTM.

However, French car manufacturer Peugeot have won the battle for his signature as they return to the French endurance classic with their diesel-powered 908 sportscar.

Although Villeneuve himself has been unavailable for comment since a report about his return first surfaced in L'Equipe this morning, a source close to him has confirmed that a deal is in place for Le Mans.

An official announcement about Villeneuve's presence in the team will be made by Peugeot on Wednesday, when they are also expected to confirm a line-up including Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais and Ferrari test driver Marc Gene.

Villeneuve has made no secret of his interest in Le Mans, especially because success there would make him the first man to capture four of motor racing's biggest prizes - the endurance classic, the F1 world championship, the Indy 500 and the Champ Car title.

Speaking to Autosport in 2005, Villeneuve said that it would be vital for him to compete at Le Mans as soon as possible after his F1 career ended because he needed to be race sharp.

"The reason for me to do Le Mans is that nobody has won all four. Three have been won, but never four," he said.

"If you stop racing for a few years, then you are not on it anymore. You can still be quick, but not absolutely on it. So I'd want to do Le Mans straightaway after F1, get it over with and then I can get away from racing completely."

Peugeot have declined to comment on the driver line-up ahead of the official announcement on Wednesday. The other drivers in the two-car entry are expected to be Stephane Sarrazin, Nicolas Minassian and Pedro Lamy.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Way to go Jacques!

Too bad he won't be running in the ALMS. I'd like to see him drive Laguna Seca.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Nice.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indy 500?

Jacques never won the Indy 500!

He won the Indy 505......

Even more unique!

Ian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post Le Mans

Quote Originally Posted by fousto
    Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve will return to competition with Peugeot at Le Mans this year, sources close to the Canadian have confirmed to autosport.com.
    Very good news!

I thought this possible when Olivier Panis announced his involvement sometime ago.

And yes fousto, it would be a feat unsurpassed by anyone before him.

Bravo Jacques!

Sirius

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    I am pretty jazzed that its a diesel. Is this the first time a diesel has be run in a top class??
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Audi won last year with a diesil in P1, Peugeot would be second to do it if/when they win at Le Mans.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    "Peugot has won the battle for his signature" is a part which strikes me as most apt .
    I guess , with 3 different series vying for his time , he really does have some worth as a driver .

F1 was foolish to lose him .

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Fousto , the drivers you posted , I have read , are in the other car .
    I saw on Jacques's site , a report that the others in his car will be Bourdais , and Gene .
    Apparently , Gene is released by Ferrari to do this officially , and Jacques has been seen in Paris , ahead of the official announcement .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Almost every driver I've heard of with a French sounding name has been linked to one of these drives, and pretty much all of them without as well...
    Extremely impressed with the first 43 laps of Bourdais' race