Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR Myths

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NASCAR Myths

DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb My take on the 6 biggest "NASCAR myths"

I'll go in the same order that David Poole did in his article.
    ==================================================
    Myth No. 6
    Racing just isn’t like it was in the “good old days” and that is killing the sport.
    Over the years the cars got faster than the “good old days”.
    Another thing is that more teams got closer to the same level of competition.
    On any given race weekend at any given track,
    there will be at least 15 drivers that have a legitimate opportunity to win the race ...
    (IMO the most successful drivers will have TEAM-MATES, being a part of a big team is a must !)

I don't lament for the “good old days” because actually the competition level is better now.

I can't see things changing as being a threat to NASCAR & the “good old days” are just history.
    Myth No. 5
    NASCAR’s new fans are killing the sport for its longtime fans.
    NASCAR fans are of all ages & their time of being a fan differs & is unimportant.
    I can remember seeing DW race back when he was winning Championships ...
    I remember seeing DW, Earnhardt, Tim, Davey & Neil race when they were true contenders for wins.
    Sometimes it was like losing old friends even though I had never met any of them.

Does me being a long-time fan of NASCAR give me more value as a fan ?
    No, it doesn't.
    (One good thing with being a long-time fan is we remember seeing things that new fans can only read about.)

Every fan is entitled to have an opinion, no matter how long he or she has been a fan.
    I can't see the "new fans" as being a threat to NASCAR.
    Myth No. 4
    Open-wheel racers are killing stock-car racing by taking away rides.
    I'm not a big fan of the open-wheel drivers STARTING in Cup.
    I think it would be better for the Cup "regulars" & the open-wheel converts
    to learn the ins & outs of stockcars in a lesser series & THEN move-up to Cup.

However I can't see the open-wheel drivers as being a threat to NASCAR.
    Myth No. 3
    The Chase for the Cup is killing the sport.
    I am not a fan of the Chase & I doubt that I ever will be.
    I would prefer the driver's ENTIRE season determine the Championship.
    I feel turning the Championship into a 10 race "play-off" cheapens NASCAR.

However I can't see the Chase as being a threat to NASCAR.
    (There are some people that really like the Chase but I'm NOT 1 of them.)
    Myth No. 2
    The lack of personality among NASCAR drivers is killing the sport.
    Several drivers have personality, NASCAR tries to keep the more personable drivers in line ...
    I would like to see things get more aggresive on the track & in the pits ...
    I really think NASCAR should turn some drivers loose ...
    I enjoy seeing a driver rant when he is upset ...
    I enjoyed seeing Jeff Gordon shove Matt Kenseth ...
    I also enjoyed seeing Carl Edwards get in Matt Kenseth's face ...

That being said, I can't see "political correctness" as being a threat to NASCAR.
    Myth No. 1
    The top-35 rule is killing the sport’s smaller teams.
    The smaller teams will usually be the SLOWER teams.
    If the number of drivers "locked-into the field" is reduced to say 25 or 30 ...
    the number of provisionals would be increased ...
    IF greater importance is placed on qualifying, the big teams will be the most likely to succeed ...
    it would be the same thing, just done differently, the smaller team cars would still go home ...

I can't see the top-35 rule as being a threat to NASCAR.
    The opinions shown above are MINE.
    David Poole listed the myths.
    To see David Poole's opinions, click the link in the 1st post.
    Just so you know, for the most part I agree with David Poole.

I think a lot of people are doom & gloomers trying to say NASCAR will fall ...
    if the truth was known they probably secretly wish it would happen.
    Trust me, NASCAR failing just AIN'T going to happen !
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This Poole guy is full of ship!! Extremely biased.
    Don't take anything I post too seriously folks.
    I'm like a bottle of wine, I get better with age.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Mears
    This Poole guy is full of ship!! Extremely biased.
    I think if you've read much of Poole's stuff you will find that he's probably the most even handed NASCAR reporter out there. He isn't afraid to criticize NASCAR as he often does, but then he's not the kind of reporter to do nothing but whine and complain like so many other NASCAR reporters do, such as Mulhern and Ben Blake.

I happen to agree with a lot of what Poole wrote in that article. I'm always highly amused that the previously pilloried NASCAR points system that everyone whined incessantly about is now referred to as "Classic". Amazing.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with David on most of the things he detailed but I have my own thoughts on the points sytem. The old system was definitely flawed but the fix for it wasn't The Chase. I didn't see any improvement in the TV or attendance numbers for The Chase segment of races. In fact they got worse.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy

I happen to agree with a lot of what Poole wrote in that article. I'm always highly amused that the previously pilloried NASCAR points system that everyone whined incessantly about is now referred to as "Classic". Amazing.
    I also agree with some of what Poole said, but it just sounds like he's trying to promote the "new" chase system as the best thing since sliced bread. I don't care for it just the same as when they instituted it.

Perhaps many that complained about the "old system" didn't realize how good it was till it was gone?

Either way we're stuck with it like it or not. For me I don't follow NASCAR as close as I used to because of this. Just for the record I don't care for the COT cars either. Just my 2c worth.
    Don't take anything I post too seriously folks.
    I'm like a bottle of wine, I get better with age.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Mears
    Perhaps many that complained about the "old system" didn't realize how good it was till it was gone?

Either way we're stuck with it like it or not. For me I don't follow NASCAR as close as I used to because of this. Just for the record I don't care for the COT cars either. Just my 2c worth.
    Excactly! As so oftens happens those that push for change are often the ones that complain when things get changed.
    Lireland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1329
    I agree with David on most of the things he detailed but I have my own thoughts on the points sytem. The old system was definitely flawed but the fix for it wasn't The Chase. I didn't see any improvement in the TV or attendance numbers for The Chase segment of races. In fact they got worse.
    In a poll taken here in the heart of nascar the majority of fans did not like the Chase. I better be careful though of what I post or some will call me a whiner. I love Nascar but I don't like what the current people are doing with it.
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muggle not
    In a poll taken here in the heart of nascar the majority of fans did not like the Chase. I better be careful though of what I post or some will call me a whiner. I love Nascar but I don't like what the current people are doing with it.
    That doesn't surprise me. Whining, schmining....the Chase improved nothing.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's some good points and some bad points. It's a little hard to define when the "good old days" where because that means different things to different people. To me the "good old days" are 1996-2002. To someone else it could be the 80's, 70's, 60's, or 50's.

I'm not saying that the Chase is going to kill NASCAR, I'm just saying that the old system was better. The old system wasn't the best. I believe I posted the best on this forum a few weeks ago (pause for ego stroke).

I think the biggest problem is NASCAR itself. It's a for profit buisness that (like all other buisness) wants to make as much money as it can. Attaining money is not in the interest of racing. Racing isn't about pleasing spectators, it's about dare devils trying figure out which macine can go the fastest. In racing, like in life, the arrival of money just makes things all mixed up and confusing.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd