Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    Well, their start point would have been higher for certain.

However I think there were quite a few disagreements, effectively Jordan wanted the kind of relationship that McLaren used to have with Honda, ie engines and cash. Honda wanted to take over many aspects of the design as BAR wanted/begged them to.
    I seem to remember EJ screwed Midland over when the team was first sold. Nice guy eh?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I seem to remember EJ screwed Midland over when the team was first sold. Nice guy eh?
    He screwed quite a few sponsors over too, practically blackmailed them as became clear after the Vodaphone verdict. A nasty case of F1 fantasyland meets Real World. Oddly enough F1 fantasyland came off second best.....

Having said that TW gave him a good going over. I'm sure you know they hated each other with a vengeance. TW kept talking up Eghbal Hamidy who he credited for his tidy designs. Unbeknownst to all the real power behind Arrows was Mike Coughlan. EJ spent millions buying out Hamidy's contract only to have him design the dog that was the EJ12 and sack him at the first opportunity/great expense.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    I guess you didn't hear about the scandal involving EJ and the $20 million of compensation money from Honda that went walkies then....

I'm quite glad that the likes of TW and EJ have disappeared from F1, the sport got a lot cleaner without them.

Cleaner? that's not a word I'd use to describe F1 after the season we've just had....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBriscoe#6
    Jordan GP should have sold to Arden as it was first rumored to happen. Midland's owner Alex Shnaider had the money and wanted to go racing.Instead of starting a team like he intended to, he bypassed the entry fee of a new team, by buying Jordan, when Eddie wanted to get out. A billionaire, and got the team at about 50 million dollars, which is cheap considering teams such as Toyota spend 500 million per season. He sold the team to Spyker with a few races to go in 2006 for 197 million dollars, so he did make out in the deal. Now Alex is the majority stock holder in the Israeli football club, Maccabi Tel Aviv.

...and there's the big problem F1 is facing- far too many of the teams now aren't in the hands of people who became team owners because they wanted to go racing, like Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, or EJ before he got greedy. Instead they're now owned either by businessmen who've bought in hoping to make a short-term profit before selling on, or car manufacturers and other companies who plan to use it as part of their marketing strategy- either way, any of them could be gone like a shot as soon as they get a better deal or marketing opportunity

In the long-term, that's not a healthy basis for the sport to operate on....