Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    You are right, my bad. Still, I'm not sure whether a perfect shifting is possible.

Anyway, CVT would be terrible, with all the engines at constant revs

CVT would make things interesting since we hear teams now talking about the strain on the engines from tracks that require more full-power time. With a CVT, the engine would have to be designed to give full power 100% of the time. That would make engine design and cooling very interesting.

I know this is OT for the thread, but the thread is beginning to turn into another Ferrari bashing one so I thought I'd go a different direction.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I find what has happened in this last couple of weeks or so very difficult to understand, and it has made me adjust my view of the whole affair somewhat.

McLaren admit that the Ferrari data was more widely disseminated than they believed, so the FIA decide the matter is closed. In one sense, I am glad the matter is closed, because it has generated a great deal of highly unpleasant comment, brought out the worst here in a lot of people who call themselves F1 'fans', and has diverted attention away from the racing. However, I am very uncomfortable with this ending the matter in the eyes of the FIA, because further wrongdoing has been admitted, which they ought to act on. I have said all along that the original punishment against McLaren was absurd — either they should have had no points taken away at all, or they should have been excluded from both championships. The 'half and half' measure was a fudge (though I should add that this does NOT mean I believe it to be a conspiracy). Previously, I came down on the side of no punishment being necessary, because it appeared as if the information had not gone too far into the team. Now, we know it has, and I feel the FIA should retrospectively exclude the McLaren drivers from the 2007 drivers' championship — and recalculate race results, everyone else's points, etc, if necessary. It will never be possible to prove one way or another whether the Ferrari data was any aid to McLaren, and everything points to it having been of little use. But now the team has admitted the wider dissemination of the data, I feel dissatisfied with the action taken.

I also remain deeply dissatisfied with the FIA's handling of the whole affair, which has been botched from start to apparent finish. It isn't just McLaren's own investigation which has been shown to have been inadequate, but the FIA's. The same goes for the Renault case, because the precedent set by the McLaren affair proved, because of the inadequacy of the FIA's initial proceedings, to set a useless precedent which nonetheless had to be abided by second time around in the name of some consistency. It is ridiculous that Renault went unpunished for the same offence because no 'extra evidence' ended up being presented in the same way it was in the McLaren case. Either the evidence was there after the initial investigation or it wasn't. The two were, after all, virtually identical in most respects.

So, McLaren end up looking pretty grubby, Renault likewise, and also the FIA. Add to that the fact that we still don't know the truth about Ferrari, Stepney and the 'white powder', and it's all very depressing. And what will it mean for the future? Will there be a spate of further 'spy scandals' whenever teams believe that a former employee has 'taken secrets with them', which we all know happens all the time, albeit to lesser degrees than in these cases?

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I guess the FIA have officially closed the matter, so let's get on with 2008 now lads. any more speculation, suppositon or back and forth will only serve to cause indigestion, and animosity.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    I guess the FIA have officially closed the matter, so let's get on with 2008 now lads. any more speculation, suppositon or back and forth will only serve to cause indigestion, and animosity.
    Well of course that is what any supporter of Mac and Hamster would say.... keep drinkin the kool aid

And the investigations only demonstrate what a lying bunch of people make up Mac, and if supporting a team because of what it stands for and being something the fans identify with, then that reflects that identity as being the same for fans.

It also demonstrates that the FIA operates at the level of pro westling, where rules are for entertainment only and generating revenue, and not for sportsmanship.

Mac never should have walked at the first hearing, and neither should renault, although renault, after reading the transcript, can point to being less dishonest than mac, indeed, mac was blantly lying out the rear, and everyone knows it and lying about it does not change it. But confessions to crime do not mandate immunity!!!!

It was only thanks to Hamilton managing to set off FA, WHO AFTER LOSING FIVE GRID PLACES BECAUSE OF HIS TEAM MATE'S PROTEST, BLOWS AT RD,with just a veiled threat that scared RD so bad, he was on the phone to Max immediately. When the evidence reveals the role played by MC as the cheif designer for 2008, not merely some rogue employee off all by himself, and the fact that this was also lied about by Mac, and when mac files an appeal to take the WDC for Hamilton while lying about that, well just when has Mac not lied?

I guess when RD said "we were racing against Alsonso"

What a joke!!!!!

So identify and root for mac all any fan wants, and what that says about such fans, should be clear
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Wondering what have motivated McLrn brought Renault the legal action for the case that wasn't fresh anymore. Guess that they were only looking for friend to be at the same boat as them, being fined and penalized. I doubt that they would still do that if only the won the WDC and WCC and won on spy scandal against Ferrari, unlikely.

All parties should respect the decision, with the statement asking for forgiveness it doesn't seem McLaren to open the case again, like Ferrari did after Mclaren was sentenced free in July.

So, let's see this as a positive give them clean slate that they will not do anything crap in the future.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    Well of course that is what any supporter of Mac and Hamster would say.... keep drinkin the kool aid

And the investigations only demonstrate what a lying bunch of people make up Mac, and if supporting a team because of what it stands for and being something the fans identify with, then that reflects that identity as being the same for fans.

It also demonstrates that the FIA operates at the level of pro westling, where rules are for entertainment only and generating revenue, and not for sportsmanship.

Mac never should have walked at the first hearing, and neither should renault, although renault, after reading the transcript, can point to being less dishonest than mac, indeed, mac was blantly lying out the rear, and everyone knows it and lying about it does not change it. But confessions to crime do not mandate immunity!!!!

It was only thanks to Hamilton managing to set off FA, WHO AFTER LOSING FIVE GRID PLACES BECAUSE OF HIS TEAM MATE'S PROTEST, BLOWS AT RD,with just a veiled threat that scared RD so bad, he was on the phone to Max immediately. When the evidence reveals the role played by MC as the cheif designer for 2008, not merely some rogue employee off all by himself, and the fact that this was also lied about by Mac, and when mac files an appeal to take the WDC for Hamilton while lying about that, well just when has Mac not lied?

I guess when RD said "we were racing against Alsonso"

What a joke!!!!!

So identify and root for mac all any fan wants, and what that says about such fans, should be clear
    Come on now, it's time to put it to rest. You sound like a record on which the needle has stuck.

We know your views. We respect that. But don't keep ramming them down everyones throats because it becomes tiresome.

It happened, it was dealt with. It may not be to your satisfaction, but that's it.

Move on, or you will just end up bickering endlessly. Rise above it.

Have a glass of tap water, and chill.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    It is time for all of us to move on. Unfortunately, there is nothing to move to with the next GP 3 months away
    Personally, I am just sick and tired of this whole schemozzle.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Come on now, it's time to put it to rest.
    Although it might surprise some people, given my Tifosi membership, I have to agree.*

Those on this forum who have been proven wrong and have had the grace to admit it, I admire.

Those who have been proven wrong but do not have the grace to admit it are not worth considering. Their integrity is forever shot to pieces and their future pronouncements not worth consideration.

That seems to be the state of play now, so I for one am happy to let that be the final reckoning.

*With the proviso that if ever again anyone paints Mclaren to be Saints and Ferrari to be Sinners, those of us with Scarlet allegiances are free to bring up this shameful affair.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Amen to that

Respect to the people who admitted they were wrong and disrespect to the people who continue on as if McChicken are the victims in this who episode
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Come on now, it's time to put it to rest...
    I agree...Merry Christmas to everyone
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life