Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Legend of the Silver Arrows

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't understand why these historic ramblings are appearing in the F1 forum. I mean, if this is the norm, then I am going to start some serious discussions about Bernd Rosemeyer.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I don't understand why these historic ramblings are appearing in the F1 forum. I mean, if this is the norm, then I am going to start some serious discussions about Bernd Rosemeyer.
    http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru...d.php?t=123217 will explain all
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type

Well, those who who think that our present day racers are feerless should try to see some footage of the Auto Union Years where Bernd Rosemeyer was an absolute star. In one race at the Nurnburgring, fog decended on the track and Bernd continued to lap at the same pace. Anyone who drove those monsters on those skinny tyres at those speeds were literally taking their lives into their hands each time they raced, and I have always admired Brend and rate him as the best Grand Prix driver ever.

I am sure there are many here who would disagree, starting with ioan I bet.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I have to agree Valve.

Those 16 cylinder Auto Unions were pushing 600 bhp at the time, using skinny tyres and virtually huge grip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ktrHJWwWGKI

There is a great article in this month's evo magazine where they run a Maserati 250F in the Nurburgring, the 50th anniversory of Fangio's memorable win.

I hear Mr. Pagani is making a special edition Zonda for this event.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a great tape called the Auto Union years which features those mid engined monsters as well as their rally car. Got it from a copy of MOTORSPORT many years ago. I'm going to try to copy this onto my DVD recorder/player so that I can share it with some of guys here (who are Essendon Supporters).

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    I have to agree Valve.

Those 16 cylinder Auto Unions were pushing 600 bhp at the time, using skinny tyres and virtually huge grip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ktrHJWwWGKI

There is a great article in this month's evo magazine where they run a Maserati 250F in the Nurburgring, the 50th anniversory of Fangio's memorable win.

I hear Mr. Pagani is making a special edition Zonda for this event.
    I like the footage of the '36 race where people are crowding on the edge of the racetrack while Rosemeyer is storming past unable to see 3 metres ahead of him :

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Well, those who who think that our present day racers are feerless should try to see some footage of the Auto Union Years where Bernd Rosemeyer was an absolute star. In one race at the Nurnburgring, fog decended on the track and Bernd continued to lap at the same pace. Anyone who drove those monsters on those skinny tyres at those speeds were literally taking their lives into their hands each time they raced, and I have always admired Brend and rate him as the best Grand Prix driver ever.

I am sure there are many here who would disagree, starting with ioan I bet.
    Valve, I can't say you are wrong, but I have a two word rebuttal: Tazio Nuvolari.

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    Valve, I can't say you are wrong, but I have a two word rebuttal: Tazio Nuvolari.

ClarkFan
    Taz featured in the tape The Auto Union Years that I am talking about. Interesting that they had great respect for each other although they could hardly converse with each other.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Taz featured in the tape The Auto Union Years that I am talking about. Interesting that they had great respect for each other although they could hardly converse with each other.
    Those cars must have been beasts to drive. Massive horsepower, rear weight bias, skinny tires and swing axle rear suspension. Talk about the definition of "snap oversteer." Those drivers must have been like test pilots - a small fraternity united by the knowledge of the danger they all faced. (Except for Varzi and Nuvolari).

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens