Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'MARIO' Andretti to test an F1 car - perhaps!

Would love to see this! If it happens, expect a big push subsequent to any test to get grandpa Andretti on the GP Masters tour.

If Marco indeed becomes a Honda F1 driver in the future, be sure Mario will become some kind of ambassador to the team for sponsor functions etc and a run in the car is a nice start and great publicity - lets see what happens...

=======================================
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56109

Mario Andretti proud of grandson's debut

By Michele Lostia Monday, January 1st 2007, 14:34 GMT

Mario Andretti believes his grandson Marco's maiden Formula One test will lead to more tests in the future - where the 1978 world champion hopes to drive a modern F1 car himself.

The 19-year-old IRL Rookie of the Year, son of former CART champion Michael Andretti, had his first taste of driving a Formula One car at Jerez in Spain last month, after Honda Racing invited him in recognition of his success in IndyCar last season.

Marco drove a total of 67 laps over a single day, finishing with a best time of 1:21.888 - two seconds slower than Honda test driver Christian Klien.

And the senior Andretti, who won the drivers' championship with Lotus in 1978, said he was sufficiently impressed with his grandson's debut.

"I think Marco performed well in the test," Mario told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The most important thing is that he made no mistakes.

"Michael updated me on the test every 15 minutes with a string of messages. We kept going on until three in the morning.

"His physical build is well suited to F1, and in Jerez he got within half a second of [Honda's test driver James] Rossiter. Not bad, is it?"

Andretti said he was confident there will be more F1 tests for Marco, and added: "At the next test I'll come along as well - and in fact I would like to try out a modern F1 car myself.

"Yes, the cockpits are tighter nowadays, but I haven't become too wide..."
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That would be a PR goldmine wouldnt it?
    Just one thing though, remeber a few years back he tested one of the AGR cars at Indy and had a big crash? Im sure he said afterwards that it was the last time he would drive a single seater.
    "The thing about 24 hr races is that they seem to go all day"

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    "Yes, the cockpits are tighter nowadays, but I haven't become too wide..."
    A little dig at a former team-mate perhaps
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    A little dig at a former team-mate perhaps

You wouldnt be talking about a certain Brummie now would you?
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe F1
    You wouldnt be talking about a certain Brummie now would you?

It came to mind because I'm reading Jo Ramirez's book at the moment and he writes about the Mansell/McLaren experience, among many other things.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993