Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilf
    I can't believe what I am reading, there were field filling rich kids in the Greatest Spectacle in Racing even before Tony George ruined racing!
    Yah, Tony Greed... er.. I meant "George" deserves an induction into the Hall of Shame.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    salt wasn't a field filling rich kid. He was just a rich kid who got the ride because of his dad. The 500 didn't need field fillers in those days.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If I remember correctly Salt became a drug addict due to the pain killers (perscription) used because of his burns. He has had problems ever since. We cannot comprehend what he went through.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fredman
    Read Bobby Unser's book.

He thought otherwise - BIG-TIME.
    Bobby had his own reasons, as he wanted that spot on the team to himself. Personally, I followed Swede's career carefully at the time he raced. A real nice young man--easy to talk to at races. I think the crash where he sufferred very severe head injuries affected him far more than what most fans or even insiders realized at the time, and he had a tough time coming back.

I thought he had died as a result of burns at Indy, until years later.

As for Salt, I have seen both rich and poor get hooked on drugs for many or no reasons. Why one started does not really matter, because once the demon is in control, it is a free fall straight to hell. Some recover with scars and some never do.

So a little prayer for all is in order, but that is just me
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: